im a failure

crothers2003
on 11/7/08 10:24 am - Scottsville, VA
I feel like such a failure. I ad an EGD done on Thursday and the doc said my anatomy looks fine but I just cant lose the weight. I was wondering if it is possible for your body to adjust to the RNY after six years because I never get the sensation of being full. I want to get the revision doneto the DS but I am so afraid this will cause problems with me and my wife. It seems like I have become totally obsessed with this. Does anyone know if a surgeon would do the surgery if nothing wrong with my anatomy? I have been keeping a food journal as well as my workout for the  last 3 months. In that time I have been diagnosed as a boarderline diabetic, placed back on blood pressure meds, put back on meds for GERD, and diagnosed with sleep apnea again and currently on 2 meds for depression. Somebody please give me some guidance.
mew6495
on 11/7/08 12:21 pm - MI
 Do you know if your RNY was proximal?  Your body does overcome some of the malabsorption over time.  The Villi (sp) will grow back which absorb the nutrients and calories.  And since the proximal doesn't bypass a lot, the body would have an easier time over coming it.

I just had a revision after 7 yrs out and the surgeon I went to did not question what my autonomy's condition was.  He was more interested in what my goals were and helping me reach them and get healthy.  I think you would have a greater problem getting insurance to approve without proof of mechanical failure.  However if your BMI is high and you have the comorbidities then they may consider.  All insurance companies are different and you would have to check their policy on WLS and revisions.

If you are self pay I am sure you could find a good doctor to help you.  There are some good doctors around but you may have to travel to see them.  The important thing is finding a good surgeon who does many revisions as a revision to a RNY has higher complication risks.

Good luck to you.
crothers2003
on 11/7/08 4:22 pm - Scottsville, VA
Mine was proximal. Were you a self pay or did you have insurance? I do have insurance that covers weight liss surgery and it is a "self funded" policy for thr large company I work for. If you did have insurance, how did you go about getting thrm to pay for it? Thanks for the  reply.
mew6495
on 11/7/08 10:38 pm - MI
 My Insurance is BCBS MI.  Since I went out of state the only approval they would give me was that "it is covered under your plan as long as it is medically necessary.  Since you are going out of state we do not require a pre approval."  Even when I tried to press them for pre authorization to ensure I was not going to get stuck with the bill they refused to give it.  So needless to say I am still waiting on notification from my insurance what their decision is one way or the other.  Now the only good thing, if you can consider it good, was that the doctor found several issues not related to my revision wls, he found a hernia, a bowel obstruction and several adhesions that he fixed in addition to the revision.  So I think he billed them using these codes rather then the wls revision in which case they should cover.  But you know insurance companies...they will use whatever they can to not pay!  I will fight it if they do not pay and if it comes down to I have to pay I will have to take a loan out to cover it.
I would suggest starting out by calling your insurance company or go online to their website and finding out what qualifications you have to meet for revision.  Some companies have different criteria for revision vs your original wls so be specific about what you want.  Some companies will not cover DS yet but I hear it is becoming more acceptable so also make sure you ask about that procedure specifically so you are not blindsided moving forward.

Good Luck.  Let us know how you make out.
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/08 12:25 pm
You may want to post on the DS forum. Al ot of revision to DS hang out there.
KRWaters
on 11/8/08 10:54 am - Manteca, CA
If your BMI is over 40, and if you have those co-morbidities back, you should be covered for a revision. First find a surgeon, and I definitely check out a DS surgeon, if you want the best surgery. Once the surgeon says you are a candidate, they will apply toyour insurance company, they know how to do it. I have medicare and there was nothing really wrong with my Rny pouch , but I was told that as long as my co morbidities were back with a BMI over 40, I was definitely a candidate for surgery again. Good luck.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

msgrneyes1970
on 11/10/08 1:13 am - GA
I'm soooo sorry to hear that for you!

I too am very obsessed....I'm having my EGD and upper GI tomorrow, and much afraid I will hear the same thing you did. (That there's nothing wrong with my RNY from Nov 99)

Everyone tells us.."Think positive", but I'd rather be prepaired for the worse....than to have my hopes up and have them crushed....

I wish I could offer some realy guidance, but I got nothin....

Other than we are all here for you, and will listen to you rant and rave, and be mad, upset, or anything in between...there are a lot of people in your boat, grab on and don't drown!

Diana
Most Active