drive by visit

JRinAZ
on 11/6/08 5:29 am - Layton, UT
Hiya Revision post-ops and wanna B's!

I haven't popped in for a while so just wanted to say Hi......offer myself for help to any who may be considering a revision from Proximal Rny to Extended Rny (aka Erny).  I'm 10 months post-op from my revision....still lose a teeny bit from time to time but mostly stay around 115.  If I go lower then I can do some naughty nibbling to get it back up.....if I go higher then all I need to do is trim a few bites. 

My odor issue still seems to be the #1 challenge with my revision but I think my dog and hubby are the only ones who have to hover in my little brown cloud and I put up with theirs so we're even!  LOL! 

Went to the O.H. event last weekend in L.A. and had a blast!  Filled my cup with inspiration and motivation and am ready to embrace MAINTENANCE for the first time in my entire life!!!!  .....I have always been gaining or losing so I'm writing a new chapter in my life!!! 

Good luck to all!  It's a crazy roller coaster to good health but bunches of us are around to help mentor through the journey!  Just give us a shout if you have a question!

LOSER'S Rock!!!

Hugggzzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mew6495
on 11/6/08 8:34 am - MI
 Hey ya Joyce,

Thanks for your help yesterday!    Your input was excellent as always!  Helps to have folks who have been there.... to help lead us newbies who are learning the ways of ERNY!

Still excited about my NEW journey and can't wait to see where this wonderful road will take me tomorrow!  
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 5:33 pm, edited 11/6/08 5:34 pm - AZ

I was wondering how many ERNY's are out there ? How many are DR Schlesinger's ? I am working on that little brown cloud. I found 2 items on line to help with this issue. I am going to order both of them next week. I want to see which one works the best. I will keep everyone posted of my results I want to blast that brown cloud away.                                                                            
Ruth A.
on 11/7/08 5:09 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Glad to hear you are doing so well, and are an inspiration to me.  (I'm a wanna B).  Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?  I know we are all different, but sometimes it's hard to place weight without a height to go with it.  Thanks :o)

Ruth
JRinAZ
on 11/7/08 6:41 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Ruth!
I'm 5'4"...weight goes from 112-117 if I eat 6 times a day!   I think I"m finally in the healthy BMI range but haven't  checked yet.  ......  I am flattered that you consider me an inspiration but honestly.....it's just my great surgery!  It's easy bein me right now......I'm sure the time will come soon enough that I have to pay closer attention to the carb and calorie count.

When are you crossing over from wanna B to .........."I'm a LOSER"???

I'm cheering for you sweetie pie!!!Cheeleader Jump
Joyce 

Ruth A.
on 11/7/08 7:46 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK

Hi

Well I will have to self pay if I have a revision, so am waiting for finances to sort themselves.  I'm hoping sometime in the New Year though all being well.  Dr S sounds wonderful, I've only ever read good things about him - mindyou a long way for me to travel, but it would be worth it, to finally be 'normal' (BMI that is) for the first time in my life!

Sounds like you had a rough journey, but worth it in the end.

kathy in horseheads
on 11/7/08 10:35 am - horseheads, NY

May I ask a couple of questions?  I looked into the DS before I had my RNY, but my insurance wouldn't cover it.  I have to say that I was quite worried about the odor also.
  When you talk about the "brown cloud", do you mean a constant odor?  Or is it just when you have a bm?  If this is too personal I will understand.  I have an odor problem when I eat alot of sugar free foods.  The gas is so loud I could wake the neighbors when I pass gas.  Then the odor smells like an egg farm.  
  Do you pass gas without any notice?  I mean, can you feel the fart (for lack of a better word) coming on?  Do you have control of the bm's? 
  I never got to my goal with the RNY and I've gained 35 lbs back.  I'm considering a revision to DS, but I'm just soooo worried.
  Thanks for any information that you can give.
Kathy R

JRinAZ
on 11/7/08 1:19 pm - Layton, UT

Kathy R.,
The rest of the forum will just have to step out of the room for a minute while we talk "brown cloud" stuff!  LOL!  ....I actually have TWO types of odors.  One is farely controlled by what I eat for the most part.  It can actually come through my poors, my breath and linger on my presence...regardless of the number of showers, etc.  That type of odor is rare these days and seems to be "outgrown" as I get further post-op.  ..........It is also battled with an antiobiotic called:  Flagyl...and also with probiotics.....(bacteria build-up from the shortened common channel)  ...The other one is rotten old fashioned flatulance of the worst kind.  That can be tempered by OTC stuff, by drinking a lot of water, by exercising/walking and by staying away from the same nasty foods that a normie would react badly to :  i.e. sugar free stuff, beans, onions, garlic, strong spices, etc..  It can be loud and scarey if I allow it to rip but I can control that in public, like normies.  If I have to "squelch" it for too long though my poor tummy can get distended like I"m ready to give birth to triplets! .....  Uusually a quick walk outside the office (around the parking lot) can handle things.  .....I definitely am in control of my bm's though they rarerly have much form (I know....TMI)......I'm just used to being loosey goosey and to quote Jack Nicholson...NEVER trust a Fart!!!

So, basically, with care on my part...I CAN be odorfree and gas free.  My potty however can peal the paint off of walls and so my purse has all kinds of armour in it to save the citizens of the public restrooms of the world!

Perfume is my friend.  Breath mints, gum, DRY mouth wash products, GAS-X strips, etc............My sister put it all into perspective the other day for me though (and she is NOT an advocate for weight loss surgery) when she reminded me how hard I battled the odors I had when I was morbidly obese......heavy perspiration, odors under folds of skin, dribbly bladder from the weight, etc.
Blushy Girl 2
Trade Offs!  People who meet me would NOT have any idea that I have had surgery or that I battle odors.  I just share it liberally on this forum to help others out.  I apologize to those with squeemish tummies!  Hopefully you just skipped right over this post!!!Big Hug

Joyce 

stacyrockette
on 11/8/08 12:35 pm, edited 11/8/08 12:36 pm - New York, NY
Heya Miss Lady,

I hope all is well.  I got a little worried when I didn't see you around , but I know you have other things to do and you are living Life. I had sent you a PM I had another question for you.

I will have an Extended Rny or at least that's what I think. I wanted to ask another question. I will have the surgery Monday November 10th.  I will resend the PM.

ank you so much for all of your help and support...

I don't know how I will eat and how will this help me lose weight without new restriction?

I am so afraid. I am not afraid of the surgery at all. I am afraid it won't work and  I will fail again.

Have a great one...

Take Care,

Stacye
JRinAZ
on 11/8/08 2:33 pm - Layton, UT

Hey there Stacyrockettte!!!Tribal Dance

Soooooo, are you opening there in NYC this week?  (as in Radio City Music Hall and the Rockettes?)  I'd LOVE to see their Holiday show someday...

O.K. ....so, I'm off topic for a second.  .... Plz resend the PM.  Not sure I ever saw it.......and yes, I am busy but never too busy to chat with a friend in need!  .....  Holy Moly sweetie pie!  You are just a couple of winks away from your fresh start!  Woooooooo Hoooooooooo!!!!

You'll lose weight from the malabsorption and not the restsriction.  I'm sure your doc will give you all the info and all the food lists to follow......If not...do NOT leave the hospital without it!  .....And, y'know you can always give us a shout for ideas if you need them!

Best skinny wishes to you for a safe and uneventful surgery!       Airplane Wishes 1

Keep us posted!

Joyce 

Most Active