Help! I have ??? re. band over bypass revision

cherylsheldon
on 11/4/08 11:31 pm
Hi,
On the 18th I am having a band over bypass revision. I have been going to the lap band meetings at my surgeons and thought this would be a breeze. Then Monday I had my one on one with the surgeon and found out that it is more involved (2-3 nights in the hospital as opposed to overnight, 25% chance they won't be able to even put the band on etc.)
So I guess what I need to know is what type of experiences have others had (has anyone not been able to have the band after being opened up?) and what type of recovery time am I looking at. Can anyone help me with this? 

A little background on me- RNY 10 years ago was successful and I lost 120 lbs. Over the last 3- 4 years  i have slowly gained back 60, despite diet and the fact that I run 3 miles 5 times a week.
Paula Prichard
on 11/5/08 3:22 am - Kingman, AZ
I have the band on my pouch.  Long story short I hate it and it eroded my stomach causing me to throw up ALL the time.  I am unfilled and live with almost constant nausea.  I am awaiting my approval to get it out....which by the way I spent one night in the hospital and it was done lap. (my RNY was open) Good luck. I went back to work in 1 week from the date of surgery.

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
catherine T.
on 11/6/08 5:07 am - lindenhurst, ny
I was banded over my bypass Jan 2008. My weight loss has been slow but my surgeon said that would most likely be the case. I was a slow loser after being bypassed. I lost for the first 6-8 months then stopped. I never made it to goal I had another 50 - 60 pounds to lose. I stayed overnight in the hospital and was out of work for 2 weeks. My job is physical so I took the time off. Banding a bypass can be tricky because of scar tissue. My surgeon is an expert band surgeon and has done revisions. I was done lap and he finished in 30-45 minutes. No real pain just discomfort at the port site for about a month. I am happy so far with my decision. Good luck. Cathy
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/08 4:42 pm - Togo
Most Active