Is this mechanical failure??

clmn2123
on 11/4/08 7:14 am - Chowchilla, CA
I had my open RNY in July of 2003. At that time i was 350lbs. Within  a year and couple of months, I lost down to 230lbs. Then over the next couple of years the lowest I got was 200lbs but for a very shor time. Most of the time I stayed right around 220-230. In 2007 I had my son and since then I have gained up to 262 lbs. I lose 5-10 lbs then they come back. Right now I am 257lbs. I had an upper GI three weeks ago. My original surgeon's office reviewed the results and they said my pouch was fine but the opening was too large. When I asked what causes this, was it something I did? He replied that I must have SOFT TISSUE??  Anyone ever heard of soft tissue? Would that be mechanical failure and they just don't want to call it that? So I asked him my options and he recommended that I look into a lapband. Now, I no longer liver anywhere near my original surgeon so he recommended that find someone local to do this new procedure and that is where I am at now.
Deanne K.
on 11/4/08 11:30 pm - Tucson, AZ
An enlarged stoma is a mechanical failure.  You need to look for a good revision surgeon and decide your options as a lap band is not your only option.  Best of luck, hope you have a copy of that report, you will need it for fighting the insurance company.
PekinSal
on 11/5/08 6:02 am - UK
I second Deanne - get another opinion. There are quite a few options for what you could do now, but you need a revision surgeon to do tests and stuff and help you choose what might be best. The band wouldn't be my first choice, but then I'm biased!

DS revision from failed lapband

clmn2123
on 11/5/08 6:09 am - Chowchilla, CA
Thank you both for the replies.  I appreciate any input on this.
Most Active