RNY to DS Insurance Question

jtrandall
on 11/4/08 6:49 am - TX
Greetings,

For those who went through or are going through the RNY to DS revision with your insurance company, I am wondering (1) did you have to have a letter of support from you PCP and (2) how long did it take to get through the approval process?  Any other insights would be helpful.

I have done the rearch on why I want to do this and I meet Aetna's requirements (at least from what the policy says - I just have to get them to agree that I meet it) so I need to know what hoops others have had to jump through.

Even if you don't have Aetna I would be curious what you did to get approved or what happened if you didn't.

I am going to post this to the revision and insurance forum as well.

Thanks,
Jim
ginau
on 11/4/08 11:15 am - mesa, AZ
JIm

I have Aetna and I was turned down first time , My surgeon rewrote letter and I not only sent in a letter - But called and talked  to the underwriter  to plead my case.

I was just under 2 yrs out and had only lost about 40% of my excess weight.  I went to a more mal absorb procedure, I didnt see point of going through  re-doing my pouch..( less risk of problems )  I now have a common channel of 75 cm and started loosing again, I feel so much better.

Good Luck , keep us posted,  sendin your letter wait a week and start calling,  try to find the underwriter who is reviewing the case and talk to them ...  when you become a real person  to them it's harder to turn down the request.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

niklar56
on 11/6/08 6:09 am
I saw prior posts regarding stomaphyx-does anyone have any information regarding this procedure-does it work?
Most Active