My Revision

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 6:56 am - Brunswick, ME
I had my revision done last Thursday and I am currently at the hotel recuperating.  I had a DS done 8 years ago.  According to the operative report my common channel should have been 100 cm.  Drummroll please.....Dr. S found a 275+ cm common channel when he opened me up!!!!!  How lame is that?!  I felt like a failure because I gained weight but the truth is that I was set up to fail right from the beginning.  Then I had to waste my time on a Stomaphyx.  I know I'm on the right path now but it's hard to accept my first surgeon failed me and lied to me too.  Anyway, Dr. S took my channel down to 75 cm so I have the DS now that I didn't have before. 

Angie in Maine

mew6495
on 11/3/08 8:00 am - MI
Congratulations Annie on your revision!  Dr. S. is awesome, isn't he?!  I am just so grateful for him and am happy I made the decision to go to him with everything he fixed on me and all.

I hope you have a uneventful and quick recovery.  Good luck on your road back to health and happiness.  

So your original wls was a DS?  WOW how disappointing to find something that you thought was different and even told that it was different!

Good luck on your trip back home.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 9:59 am - Brunswick, ME
Thanks for your support.  My original DS was supposed to be a DS. That's what I was told.  Dr. S said it was really more like a distal RNY.  Since I didn't have a pouch, it was probably more like a distal sleeve.  I honestly don't believe that 275 cm is standard for any type or wls. Except the ones that do not involve malabsorption.  My original surgeon just made up his own thing.  He was too chicken to do it right.

My recovery is going slow but steady.  I'm going to stay the 2 weeks as planned.  Everyone at home is telling me how cold it is and my mother is having a good time out here.  Nothing to rush home for.

Angie

ShayZ
on 11/3/08 9:27 am - Somewhere, TX
Congratulations on your revision. I am glad you were able to find some peace and reconciliation with resepct to your original surgery...maybe you should contact your original surgeon and ask what the deal is...after all what is he going to say, "It grew back?"
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 9:40 am - Brunswick, ME
LOL!!  Yes, Dr. Schlesinger assured me that it hadn't grown in the past 8 years. I probably will write my original surgeon a letter when I get home.  He is no longer doing bariatric surgery, which is for the best.

Angie
cuppyb
on 11/3/08 8:30 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
Congrats on your revision and I wish you a speedy recovery. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/08 12:25 am - Brunswick, ME
Thank you.  I'm glad to hear that you're doing well!!

Angie
Deanne K.
on 11/3/08 11:47 pm - Tucson, AZ
Angie,
Just know that you are not the only one that Dr. S found didn't receive what they were told.  I had a RNY with only 30cm (1 ft) bypassed and it was blamed on me why I didn't lose weight.  I still haven't reconciled what I am going to do with that information since my original surgeon is sill doing surgeries.  You will do great.  Keep up the good work.

Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/08 12:38 am - Brunswick, ME
Thanks Deanne.  It is sad and frustrating that there are so many of us that didn't get what we signed up for and end up being judged, by ourselves and others, about why we don't lose weight or gain weight back.  The doctors know they are doing wrong because they lie on the operative report.  I was hoping Dr. S would find more than a 100 cm common channel, but 275 cm, that's insane. I should feel better knowing that I didn't undo my surgery, and I do, but I'm still mad that my original doc didn't do his job.  I'll get past it in time.  I may write him a letter when I get back home. 

Angie
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/08 9:40 pm
Who in the heck did your original surgery?  this is the kind of information people need when hopefully making educated decisions about their surgeons!
Most Active