Lap Band to VSG?

mrsedaddy
on 11/5/08 5:46 am - Spring, TX
Have you looked into the Duodenal Switch?  You should visit that board.  I was sold on the sleeve until I read about the DS and long term success rates, but, if you don't want to take vitamins then it may not be right for you.  Personally, for me, one restrictive procedure didn't work, so I can't see how another one would.  I don't want to have another surgery ~ and the EWL for the DS is outstanding.

Best wishes!!
Tough times don't build character, they reveal character.

SW (12.1.08):  310
CW: 210
GW (whenever God gets me there):  160ish

PekinSal
on 11/5/08 6:11 am - UK
I have the VSG as part of the DS, and its much easier to live with than the band. Because the ghrelin producing part of your stomach is removed you don't feel hungry very often - first thing in the morning is the only time I feel hungry.

The restriction seems constant too - you can eat the same (small) amount at any time of day, and protein actually stays down. I don't PB either, although I have thrown up if I've accidentally tried to stuff too much in and not noticed the signs!

My DH has the band too, and although its ok it isn't brilliant. He's thinking of getting the sleeve instead - I picked the DS part as well because that bit cures diabetes, but DH doesn't have that. My only worry with the sleeve on its own is whether your sleeve stretches so much over time that you'd put weight back on. I don't know - I don't think many studies have been done on the sleeve in the long term. Less even than on the band, which is a shame since its us having to make hard choices!

DS revision from failed lapband

Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/5/08 9:43 pm
Thanks again everyone. I am still deciding my Dr does not do the DS anyway so I will be reading the DS board and looking at Dr in my area.
Highest weight- 262lbs
Lap band- Aug 2006 - 254lbs.
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .
Gained up to 271 due to the band
Got DS revision April 2010!! Current 145lbs
At 5'8 my goal was 160lbs but I surpassed that with the DS!!!!!!

malia26
on 11/8/08 5:52 am - WI
I can't wait to hear all the replies to your question.  I just lost my band monday (went in for repostion due to a slip but he had to take it out because of scar tissue and thought I'd have worse problems in the future).
Now I'm thinking about the sleeve.  My doc recommends it over RNY.  Why take restrictive instead of the malabsorption too?  For me, my problem is my portion size.  I can follow the rules very well, and did and am devestated to have lost the band.  It's the portion size that I have troubles with.
I opted for the band like you...less invasive, easily reversable, etc.  Now...we'll see if I gain and end up with VSG, which is my choice if I do go with another surgery.  My doc says people do very very well with VSG and can live a lifetime without the rest of the stomach that they cut off.

169 155   
current/goal 

High: 281, Band removed:180,
Sleeved: 215

Most Active