Lap Band to VSG?

Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/3/08 12:57 am
Okay..... Now for those that have went from lap band to VSG.

Why would you choose the VSG (restrictive only) when you already had lap band (restrictive only device)? If you didn't have any erosion or slip problems.

I go for an upper GI tomorrow to see whats going on with my band. I have slight reflux and I can eat only at night and I choke on my small pill med every time. I almost puke at every meal even after chewing like a cow.

Now I want the VSG because I will not HAVE to take extra vitamins as long as I'm eating properly. I wont run the risk of being low  in iron. And to be honest the rerouting is scaring me a little. ( I know I'm cutting and stapling and sawing and nailing anyway ) But just not fully sold on RNY.

So basically why did YOU chose the VSG after lap band?
Thanks

Highest weight- 262lbs
Lap band- Aug 2006 - 254lbs.
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .
Gained up to 271 due to the band
Got DS revision April 2010!! Current 145lbs
At 5'8 my goal was 160lbs but I surpassed that with the DS!!!!!!

sweetness75
on 11/3/08 3:16 am - Seat Pleasant, MD
Hi Ahsieym,

I had the VSG on July 2 and I love it. Well to be honest I chose this surgery because this is the only other surgery that my surgeon does. After doing some research I was won over because it didn't seem as invasive as gastric. I have much restriction with my new stomach. If I even eat on bite to much I will be sick for a few hours and maybe even throwing up. Which I try my best not to do. I am never really hungry unless it is that time of the month. Most of the time I forget to eat and that is pretty strange for me because I love to eat.
You don't have to do any extra vitamins it really is just like having the band you don't don't have the band. You follow the same rules. Protein, Veggies, then carbs if you can. Drink alot of water it really helps if you feel hungry and shouldn't be eating. I really wish that I had got this surgery first. I have lost 51 pounds in three months. Also when you have a revision you tend to lose slower. They say because the shock of the first surgery causes this to happen but any rate I am still happy with my progress. I can't eat sugar anymore either which is a good thing for me because I have diabetes. Well if you have anymore questions please let me know.

Sweetness

Beginning/Current/Second mini goal/Goal
311             260        250             200

If I stay strong and watch what I eat the pounds will melt away. Thanks for the support.

Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/3/08 4:31 am
Sweetness,

Thanks for your reply! I am still leaning towards the VSG but my Dr is saying that it would probably not work.
Highest weight- 262lbs
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .

sweetness75
on 11/3/08 4:43 am - Seat Pleasant, MD
It is all about if you want it to work. I found that with the band I was able to eat any and everything when I didn't have a fill. And even if I had a fill I still could get alot in. That is why I only lost 8 pounds in two years.  You do what you feel. If you want this to work it will work. I can eat about 3 to 4 oz in one sitting. You do have to pay more attention to calories. But since I taking in less calories than I am burning I am able to lose weight.

If I stay strong and watch what I eat the pounds will melt away. Thanks for the support.

Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/3/08 5:51 am
Thats how I am right now with the band sometimes I can eat eat eat. But I want to have to REMEMBER to eat..... that way it will be easier to make better choices. I am sick of having this port & band in and rubbing against something inside. I have about 3.5cc in my 5cc band so I should have good restriction without the reflux and vomiting. 
Highest weight- 262lbs
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .

sweetness75
on 11/3/08 9:24 am - Seat Pleasant, MD
Yes that is the best part about the sleeve is I don't hardly feel hungry. I think that it would work for you. I just look at the date that you had the band done. I had mine done the same year in Sept.

I think that in begining the band work for me it seems like when I healed I could eat everything. I just think that the band isn't for everyone. You have to have some strong will power. With the sleeve what helps is because that part of your stomach is gone that produces the hunger hormone. So keep me updated on how things are going. If I can help or be any type of support please let me know.

Sweetness

Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/3/08 10:29 am
Thanks.
Highest weight- 262lbs
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .

Michael M.
on 11/3/08 11:27 pm - Covington, LA

I started to have pain with my band everytime I swallowed even water...this went on for a couple of years...and a couple of years of upper GI's and adjustments of loose, tight, loose weight gain and bottom line PAIN!!  Had the revision 10/6  now no pain when I swallow and love the restriction.

vgrimli
on 11/4/08 4:59 am - Browns Valley, MN
Well I had revision on 10-15-08.  I too had had the lapband (10-4-05).  I went into surgery thinking I was going to have the gastric bypass. But my surgeon had told me it depended on scar tissue, etc.  If there was a lot, he would not be able to do the gastric because too big a chance on leaks, etc.  Well, I came out of surgery with the sleeve.  Too much scar tissue and damage from the band.  I love the sleeve!  I am done 35 pounds and can only eat about 3 oz at a meal.  I walk and I feel really, really good.  It is all about making up your mind to do it or not do it.  But I feel it is easier than the band was and look forward to even bigger losses!

Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/4/08 5:29 am
Thanks.... I went and had an upper GI and they said everything looks in place but my esophagus is strechted and that is the reason for the reflux but everything else looks good (according to the radiologist) but he did say that he wanted the GI Dr to look it over too before they send it over to my surgeon.
At this point even if everything is alright I still want this band out.

Highest weight- 262lbs
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .

Most Active