RNY Advantages?

vaweber
on 11/1/08 11:19 am
For those that have gone from the lapband to RNY, what are the main differences that you have noticed in terms of what you can eat, how much you can eat and the difference in sensations.   What do you feel has been your biggest advantage to having a revision done?  Does anyone wish they had kept the band and not had their revision done?  If so, why? 

I'm still trying to work this all out in my head and make a rational decision for myself.  Any input is very much appreciated!

Vicky
MARCIAM
on 11/1/08 12:01 pm - Sayville, NY
The biggest differences may be that I no longer have reflux 24 hours a day and that I no longer am a diabetic. I couldn't keep down solid food any more with my band and life was a horror story. Add to that I had to have my band emptied and I was putting weight back on.  I know have lost 23 pounds since my RNY surgery on 9/22.  I have lost everything that I put back on!  I get full quickly & stay full for at least 4 hours.  I think that the RNY is the best thing I ever did for my health and my happiness!  I was afraid to get the RNY originally thinking that the lapband was so much safer... It turned out to be a big mistake.

My daughter is having RNY in a few weeks. She is 28 years old and after my experience with the band she wouldn't even consider getting it...

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

vaweber
on 11/1/08 12:31 pm
MARCIAM,
I've had my band emptied at least twice.  The first time was when I got a fill and I started swelling around my band and the second time was when i was having some saline taken out because I was too tight and started swelling around my band.  Apparently I'm very sensitive to the fill itself.  I feel very disallusioned with my band, very disappointed in the results and so tired of sliming and getting "stuck" on the first bite.  I'm anxious to see how your daughter does with her surgery, best of luck!
MARCIAM
on 11/1/08 12:58 pm, edited 11/1/08 12:58 pm - Sayville, NY
There are many people here on OH that had their bands removed and a revision to RNY.  The band wasn't what was promised and caused many of us terrible problems.

My husband had RNY 2 weeks before I was banded and had gotten to his goal in a little over a year while I just stopped losing with the band no matter what I did...  I worked hard to make the band work but I didn't get the 1-2 pounds a week that I was told about. I don't think that the lapband manufacturer is counting all of the complications that we have suffered.

Thank you for the good wishes for my daughter & good luck to you!

I forgot to mention that I can eat anything as long as it is moist and in a small serving.  I also cannot tolerate very much sugar at all.  I really think that is a plus...

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Margie McQueen
on 11/1/08 2:10 pm - Sebastian, FL

In contrast... I had RNY done in 2004 - while the weight loss was faster than what has evidently been realized with the lap band, you need to keep in mind that the pouch et al does heal and resumes normal function - the dumping syndrome you may experience eventually does go away and is no longer a problem for many... you can eat everything - just takes time to chew - blockages occur as well - in plain words, both procedures have to be looked upon as weight loss tools not miracles... I will be going through the lap-band process soon - just received approval from my insurance company... I lost 125 pounds - have steadily gained 50 lbs over the past year and a half = I am not willing to go through evasive surgery to revise what has already been done - wish you all much success with your choices... 

KRWaters
on 11/1/08 2:40 pm - Manteca, CA
I invite all of you to check out the duodenal switch forum. You will learn so much, and that there is more to WLS than RnY. So many people who have had RnY are looking for a revision, and the only way up is a DS. If you would read some of the factual literature out there, you will read that the DS is a better surgery for the long term, better weight loss, easier to keep weight off, and when you have the DS you are at the top. You do not dump (which may be better in the long run, why punish yourself for not being able to stop eating.) The pyloris works. Yes, it is more malabsorbtive, but that is what keeps the weight off. Just have to remember to take vitamins just as you do with the RnY, just different vitamins.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

fortworthgal
on 11/9/08 2:42 am - Fort Worth , TX
Im very glad I got a revision even though I almost died from blood clots(its in my profile). The RNY has really changed me. I dont have constant thoughts about food and dont crave sweets because they make me dump. My heart starts racing and I get sweaty. A lot of times I have to make myself eat because I just dont feel like eating. I do keep track of everything I eat though so I know how much protein and calories I am eating. I have never gone over 1000 calories. I know people say this wont last forever but I am just concentrating on NOW.
vaweber
on 11/9/08 11:19 pm
Thanks so much for your input.  I know that there are definately risks involved as in all surgeries.  II am still waiting to hear from my doctor.  He has my file and is reviewing it to see what he wants me to do.  I would be so happy not to have constant thoughts of food!
Most Active