I dont understand????

tysweetpea
on 10/31/08 4:50 am - NEWMAN, CA
I guess I just dont understand.  How is everyone else being reviewed for a revision and it wont even be considered for me even though I gain alot of my weight back. OMG!!  I am right back where I started.
I got my labs and upper gi results back and I am stunned!  I am low in Vit D, B-12 and iron.  So I am on prescribed supplements And go for a recheck in 3 months. For the upper gi the dr said it is fine.  My pouch went from 1 oz to 2 oz which is normal for my surgery age and 2 oz is fine.  Everything else is fine.  She is sending me to a dietician.  What could possibly be going wrong?  What did I do?

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

pokerchips
on 11/1/08 8:48 am

Don't dispair go to another surgeon or better yet visit the dietician a follow through.  Does the surgeon want you to go to the dietician because you don't have any documented weight loss attempts in the past 2 years that may be required for your insurance approval.

I also had surgery in 2001 and recently got evaluated for a revision and I am waiting for insurance approval.  I had 6 months of weigh****chers attendance documentation because my insurance requires it even for revisions UNLESS there is a mechanical faillure of some kind.  Although the surgeon did not find a mechanical failure I know that something was wrong from the very beginning because after the 1st month (after I healed) I never experienced the full  after a few tablespoons of food that everyone else talks about.  I was always able to eat a lot of food I know my stoma was to large. 

Any way back to you........Get an evaluation from another surgeon if there is one in your area that does revisions DO NOT GIVE UP.  I am praying that my insurance company will approve my revision but that is up in the air.  Did th surgeon say she would NOT do the revision or did she say that she just wanted things to take another path until she reevaluates you?? 

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/08 6:49 am - Togo
charleston-mom
on 11/6/08 3:55 am, edited 11/6/08 3:55 am
Please realize that WLS is only a tool. If your pouch is the right size, I'm not sure how any revision is going to help. The only thing that will work is to go back to basics and work with your tool. Sounds like your WLS is still how it is supposed to be. It is really important to change your eating habits for the rest of your life. Without that, there is no WLS that will be successful long-term. I think working with a dietician to work with your pouch, especially since everything is fine, sounds like a great idea. I bet that will work. I'm not sure what a new surgery will do. Unfortunately, with WLS, unless there is some physical reason that your original surgery didn't work like a slipped lapband or something, there is no revision in the world that will help without a total change, lifelong, in eating habits. Did you stick with the doctor's plan after your surgery and exercise? I think so many of us think that because it's so easy at first that it's not something we have to work at for the rest of our lives and it is. It's really really hard. I battle it every day, all day long, and know I will have to for the rest of my life. It's bar none the hardest thing I've ever done and I know it will continue to be. Also, please realize revision surgery is far more dangerous than your original surgery. If your pouch is still 2 ounces, I'm sure that's why the doctor is reluctant to do anything. If it's an issue with compliance, that may be why. I'm really not trying to be harsh, but I think for so many of us, it's just so hard and we want to go back to that initial weight loss stage. Even with a revision, it's only a stage, and then the hard work starts.
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/08 3:23 pm - Togo
Most Active