Home from the hospital

cuppyb
on 10/31/08 6:09 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
Hi everyone!

I had my revision from band to RNY on Tuesday with Dr. Pohl and am doing great.  Had one small problem......a reaction to morphine.   I was dry heaving and vomitting for the first 24 hours and then they took me off the morphine and gave me toradol and I was fine.   Past few surgeries I had a dry heaving issue and no one ever said it was the morphine this time they reviewed my charts and found that to be the common link.

Actually sleeping in my own bed and able to get up and down on my own.  Couldn't do that after my band or gall bladder.   Getting fluids in.....slowly but surely.  

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

markys mama
on 11/1/08 1:26 am - independence, CA
ya hoo I amd so happy for ya.
1 hour bf RNY 398
before Baby 220
goal 160
current 285
need to lose 129  chocolate
cuppyb
on 11/1/08 6:20 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

lbaa
on 11/2/08 8:45 am - MA
I had my band in 11/2006, I am now trying to have a revision to RNY. Would you mind me asking what made you decide to have revision? Did you have a hard time getting insurance to approve it? I realize you just had this done so if you don't feel up to responding, no worries.

Glad everything went well for you.
cuppyb
on 11/2/08 7:17 pm - Fort Worth, TX

For the past 6 months I was having a lot of issues with pb'g.   After the first year I had to go in and have my port moved from the right to the left....my tubing had become tangled and my port flipped over.  They completely unfilled me.   They believed this to be the cause of my pain and swelling on my right side along with pb'g issues.  They started refilling me and I never got back to the point I was prior to the port replacement ..... 3.2 cc.   

Once they started readjusting me I was experiencing heartburn, foods that were never a problem were a huge issue, and liquids wouldn't go through.  We would fill, un-fill, fill, unfill and so forth.  Finally got the point that at only 2cc I was pb'g on water and even pureed foods.   I started bringing up blood with it, and every time I ate my side would swell and I would have really bad pain.  The acid reflex was horible and I had already had my gallbladder out in emergency surgery 3 months before my band was done.

I had to go back through all the pre-op testing all over again (except the heida scan since I had no gallbladder) and even the shrink eval.  That was my biggest problem, I had an issue with the psych woman she felt I didn't need a revision and didn't believe the problem was the band she felt it was me.    Someone in her office asks me aobut 100 or so questions then she walks in for 3 minutes and says "you failed at one type of weight loss surgery and now you want another, you don't understand the concept of weight loss surgery and I can't recommend you as a candidate."     I won't even go into my comments about her, but I have written letters to the hospital and insurance company regarding her.    Anyway, I went through my own counselor who has been treating me all along for a letter of recommendation which was required by BSBS.

My first surgery they approved in 2 days, this time they took a week to approve.   The woman who does the approval at my doc's office is really good and sent over 68 pages of information to them and they called multiple times with questions.  She finally got them to approve me but they were on the fence.  Since my policy doesn't have a cap-off she put me through.   Either way the band was coming out, it was just would the RNY be done now and only one surgery or would they be paying for 2 seperate surgeries.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make.  So far I am very happy that I had the band removed and am looking forward to seeing the scale go down. 

lbaa
on 11/2/08 9:44 pm - MA
With the exception of the port, my symptoms sound identical to yours. Of course I am constantly met with " you didn't chew enough" or your "eating too much", the bottom line is this is just not working for me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I can only hope that my surgeon and insurance will approve me for the revision.

Take Care,

Laura
cuppyb
on 11/3/08 8:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
Which hospital are you looking to go through?

lbaa
on 11/3/08 10:09 am - MA

Beth Israel, that is where my band was put in.

cuppyb
on 11/3/08 8:24 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Good hospital to chose.    My friend just had her RNY there and a former co-worker of mine had transplant surgery there.  

Most Active