Got my 2nd no 3rd chance

pokerchips
on 11/3/08 11:23 am
I had RNY surgery in 2001, I lost 35-40 pounds within the 1st 3 months and I didn't lose any more weight after the 3rd mo.  I was not the best RNY patient but I was not the worst.  By the 2nd month out I could eat much more than I thought I should be able to eat but the surgeon would never listen to me.  I exercised and drank or ate my protein but I did not lose all of my excess weight.  I kept the weight I lost off until last year (after being bedbound for 2 months and taking steriods due to a cyst on my spine).  I never got below a size 14 clothes and I'm only 5" so a size 14 is a pretty chubby short person :)

Any who I suspect my stoma was too large immediately after surgery, I never got that full feeling after a few tablesopoons of food like I hear others say, I was able to eat anything and I did not have to chew my food well nor did I experance many of the other things the typical RNY experiences.  I had a surgeon that would not listen to what I was experiencing he just kept telling me to "take my tool out of the shed".....that sounds cute and he was amused every time he said it...........needless to say after a while I just became satisfied (and felt like a failure) with the minimual weightloss until this year when I decided to explore a revision. 

Like you I'm going 4 the GOLD!!!
mellow
on 11/3/08 12:48 pm
There definitely is a problem with your stoma.  When I had the vbg in 1986, I knew that it wasn't right.  I could eat too much as soon as I got on solid food.  Then you had weeks of pureed or liquids only.  I did all that and when I got to the time where I could eat a sandwich - I could eat the whole thing!  After being told that I would only be able to hold 2 oz..........If we don't get the restriction we need - what is the point?
I can sympathize with the bedbound.  I broke my ankle and tibia plateau in Dec. of 2004 and had to be off my feet for 2 months.  Gained weight, of course and my walking was shot.  I had breast cancer in 2003 and even gained weight while on chemo!  Haha!  I thought that I would lose weight, but all I lost was my hair.  I'm fine now.  Lumpectomey, chemo, radiation and almost 5 years out.  I am blessed.

Hang in there Pokerchips!  And find you a doctor who will listen and respect what you have to say.  You didn't fail - the surgeon and rny failed.   All the best,  Mellow
Magyargal
on 11/1/08 10:26 am
Staying Prayed  up, Amen to that pokerchips! Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

Most Active