Got my 2nd no 3rd chance

mellow
on 10/30/08 4:14 pm
I have a surgery date - Nov. 12.  I originally had vbg in 1986 - never lost what I should have.  I could always eat too much.  Everyone I know who had the same surgery gained all their weight back.  Fast forward to this past July 3.  I went in for gastric bypass after about 3 weeks of starving on the pre-op diet.  Woke up in SICU to find out that they punctured my small intestines when they were inserting the instruments.  They searched for about an hour and a half and then had to cut me open to do repair.  I had been under longer than they were comfortable, so.....they did not do the bypass.  Very disappointing but I was assured that I could have it later.  It was rough healing from abdominal surgery, but I am ready to take the plunge again.  My sister who is 73 (19 yrs older than me) had surgery by the same Dr. in May and has done fantastic!  She has lost about 65 -70 lbs. 
I get inspired seeing her and all the before and afters.  Hopefully this time things will go right for me.  I would appreciate prayers on my behalf.  Thanks and best of luck to all y'all getting another chance at health.

Mellow
Ginger08
on 10/31/08 2:18 am - IA
Best of luck to you and I hope that everything goes smoothly for you this time.... you have my prayers coming your way. Ginger
mellow
on 10/31/08 5:22 am
Thanks so much Ginger.  Some people have said that maybe that was a "sign" that I wasn't supposed to have it - I sure hope not!  Ha ha.  I'm a person who hates to feel like they are in a rut that I can't get out of.  Hoping to get out of this obesity rut!   Thanks again, Mellow
Hondurian Queen
on 10/31/08 9:28 am - BOSTON, MA
MELLOW I AM PRAYING FOR YOU THAT ALL WILL WORK OUT FOR YOU I BELIEVE THAT IT WILL

mellow
on 10/31/08 3:46 pm
Thank you so much Hondurian Queen!  I am excited and a little nervous.  It helps to read all of the different experiences in the WLS community.  Best to you, Mellow
Magyargal
on 10/31/08 12:09 pm
Hi Mellow, I Said a Prayer you and for The Lord to guide your Surgeons hands and everyone who is in the surgery room with you too. I Will Keep you in my Prayers too. I also had VGB, It is vertical gastric banding? Mine was back in Feb 1992. My staple line opened on me. I went down to 190 for a couple of years, I thought it was only a couple of months, but my PCP told me I was  at that weight for 2 years 5 months. then I was at 210 for 6 years. Then i stayed at 239-249 for several years, I shot up to 268 last year it took me a few months to get down to 250!! I freaked out over that! I now weigh 241. I started having stomach pains big time a year ago, I went to to my PCP who said it was this or that...cold, flu, virus... She never tested me for anything.  I now found out it is related to my old VGB. My stomach staple line opened up. I have ulcers big time, and two hernias. When I asked my PCP is the pain could be from old surgery or ulcers, she chuckled and said no because it was to long ago..And that after that stomach surgery you don't get ulcers...Yea right!!! Also I am only 5'2" I was always told I was 5'1" at all my doctors office since adulthood. How did I gain an inch at  Dr. Sandor's office? I will be seeing a new surgeon soon, as Doctor Sandor said my case is very complicated. I loved him and everyone at his office. I will miss them all. You will be in my Prayers for sure. Alizka..

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

mellow
on 10/31/08 3:59 pm
Magyargal, thanks for the prayers!  Bless your heart - you have had a rough time.  We have to put our trust in doctors - but they sure can drop the ball sometimes.  I hope you get some help soon.  Maybe when they fix the hernias they can do a revision to a RNY.  Some people have asked me if I really wanted to have this surgery and only be able to eat a tiny amount.  I told them "NO, I want a pill that lets me eat all I want and still lose down to my ideal weight - but I don't see that happening any time soon".  Well, gotta get my butt to bed -it's 1 a.m.  Thanks again and I will pray that you get relief from your pain soon.  Mellow
pokerchips
on 11/1/08 9:09 am

Mellow I will keep you in my prayers.  I'm proud of you, you know what you want and what will be good for you and you are going for it.  Stay prayed up, get your postop supplements lined up this time will be the charm. 

I like you I want a 2nd chance at beating this obesity fight.  I am waiting for the surgeon to submit a request to UHC for insurance approval.  People who have never walked in our shoes do not understand our need to be healthy and to feel better about our appearance.  Did your sister have a revison or was this her first surgery?  70 lbs gone forver would make me so happy.   Peace & Blessings.

Change is a Process Not an Event

mellow
on 11/1/08 9:29 am
Pokerchips,
Thank you for your prayers and well wishes!  I have my supplements and starvation pre-op diet.  I sure hope you get good news on your insurance.  It saves the insurance companies money in the long run.  About my sister - she had never had any surgeries in her 73 years!  The only hospitalizations were when she had her two kids.  I was worried because she hadn't been through surgery - but she did great!  Went home the next day and has had no serious problems.  She really has no appetite, but makes herself get in the protein.  She looks about 15 years younger than her age and has a lot more energy.  
What and when was your previous surgery?  I have a friend who had the band months ago and she has only lost 10-15 lbs.   
Thanks again and I'll be praying for you to get good news!  Mellow
pokerchips
on 11/3/08 10:55 am
Most Active