Well...no revision for me

tysweetpea
on 10/30/08 4:52 am - NEWMAN, CA
I got my labs and upper gi results back and I am stunned!  I am low in Vit D, B-12 and iron.  So I am on prescribed supplements too. Argh!  And go for a recheck in 3 months. For the upper gi the dr said it is fine.  My pouch went from 1 oz to 2 oz which is normal for my surgery age and 2 oz is fine.  Everything else is fine.  She is sending me to a dietician.  I feel like a failure.  What could possibly be going wrong?  What did I do?

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

mew6495
on 10/30/08 5:54 am - MI
 YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!  I know it is disappointing and I am sorry you did not get the results back you were hoping for.  I also had the low conditions in all the vitamins you listed.  I had prescriptions for all of them at one time.  I was able to get it under control pretty quickly staying faithful to my regime.  I now only take prescription iron even though my last labs were good for it.  Everything else is over the counter.  Yours will improve as well.

Did they check the size of your stoma?  Did you have the EGD (sp?)?  Just wondering if that has enlarged.  You know your body is a very miraculous thing.  Over time the intestines will over come some of the malabsorption part which will not allow for as much as time goes by.  If you had proximal this may be why you have seen some gain since 2001.  The villi (sp), the little "fingers" inside the intestine that absorb nutrients and calories actually start growing more to try and compensate for the bypass the body went through.  This is not something you control so therefore not something you could have helped.  

The only other thing I would suggest is taking a through look at what you are eating every day and putting it in a journal.  This will be good documentation if you decide to go further some where down the road.  It will also give you insight to where you might be able improve, if at all.  Are you eating a lot of carbs?  Carbs are dangerous for any wls and will promote weight gain.  

I wish you luck.  I surely hope things start looking up for you.
pokerchips
on 11/1/08 9:16 am
I responded to your most recent post before I read this.  The surgeon is probably sending you to a dietian to prepare you for future success with a revision.  Take all of your prescriptions as instructed and when the surgeon sees your labs have improvved and that you followed through with all referrals she will probably agree to do the revision.  There is no way you can can surgery and have a fast healthy recovery if your labs are not good now.  Like I said before don't give up and follow the surgeons instructions. 

Change is a Process Not an Event

tysweetpea
on 11/1/08 12:05 pm - NEWMAN, CA

Well...Unfortunately she has already said there is no point in going though the major surgery with a revision if my anatomy is fine per the upper gi.  In other words...she is pointing the finger at me and telling me to see the dietican.

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

cuppyb
on 11/2/08 7:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I had to goto my nutritionist again before they would schedule me for a revision.  It only helped me with the insurance company because I was able to show I had been following plan and meeting with people to help me make the right decisions.

I wish you the best. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Most Active