Have anyone went from Lapb Band to Gastric Bypass need help bad

lisacooper
on 10/29/08 9:57 am - new york, NY
Im having the Lap Band remove and thinking about getting the Gastric bypass I had the band for ablut 3 years and didnt loose no more than 40 pound than gain half back.  Does it heals like the Lap Band ?  How long can i expect to be out of work and is the Gastric bypass workingfor u are u happy and losing WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MARCIAM
on 10/29/08 12:38 pm - Sayville, NY
I had to have my band out in August after 2 1/2 years. Starting on Easter Sunday I had constant reflux and couldn't hold down any solid food.  My doctor took it out in emergency surgery on 8/20.  I had RNY surgery on 9/22.  I am thrilled with my RNY! I have already lost 23 pounds and I feel great!  I am retired but I was able to get around and do most everything in about 5 days.

Good luck to you!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

reeree89
on 11/1/08 10:13 am
Hey Lisa,
  I had the Lap band to RNY revision. I lost 30 lbs in 3.5 years and was sick everyday with the band..I am really happy I made the change, since May of 06 I have lost 225 lbs, had my TT and Hernia repair.

Maria
Ree
-200 Lbs
Live. Love. Laugh.

ebony_teaches
on 11/1/08 11:23 am - Baker, LA
Hi Lisa I too am a revision patient.  I was banded December of 05.  I lost 20lbs the first year.  My band slipped May of 07.  December of 07 I did a revision to rny.  I am currently 10 1/2 months post op.  My weightloss has been extremely slow from my revision. That's one thing my surgeon didn't tell me until AFTER the surgery.  Revision weightloss is alot slower.  That has been the most frustrating part of all.  I weighed 252 at the time of my revision.  I am currently 195lbs.  I have another 25lbs to go, but i'm paranoid because i'm almost a year post op and my window of weightlossopportunity is closing in on me.  Good luck with your decision. 

Ebony_Teaches

highest life time weight 330lbs///  lowest life time weight without surgery 217lbs
weight pre band 292lbs ///  lowest weight with band 232lbs
pre op weight w/ gastric bypass 252lbs
current weight with RNY 195lbs

"Everything is possible for him who believes."   
Mark 9:23

cuppyb
on 11/2/08 7:39 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I just had my band removed and rny on 10/28/08.  I am planning on taking 3 weeks off from work because my job requires a lot of traveling for me.....i'm a HR manager supporting 7 stores in a major retail chain.    Since I have to go from location to location and walk the stores I wanted to make sure I was feeling my best and energized enough to return.

While I'm only on liquids so far, the best thing for me is that they are staying down.   I was bringing up coffee with my band.     Staying optimistic about the weight loss and realize that it can be slower with a revision, but as long as I hold myself accountable for what goes in my mouth and follow the guidelines....I know I can reach goal. 

Best of luck to you.

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

lbaa
on 11/5/08 10:28 am - MA
I met with my surgeon today and he has agreed to give me a revision to RNY pending insurance approval. The disappointing news is that he wants to do this open due to a massive hernia that needs to be repaired. He feels that fixing the hernia, removing the band and revising to RNY will be best treated open. How was yours done open or lap?
boysclub
on 11/5/08 10:07 pm
I had a lap band 6 years ago and lost 100 lbs.  I developed numerous typical band complications, had it replaced once and finally had it removed two years ago and converted to rny.  BIG MISTAKE!  I have lost less than 40 lbs.  and am stuck living with malabsorption for the rest of my life.  Right from the get go, I could eat too much with rny.  The surgeon did an egd and said the pouch and stoma were about twice normal size due to him having to work around scar tissue.  I also have very little sensation in my stomach, cant even tell if I am full.  This has been a profoundly disappointing experience. 

Elizabeth L.
on 11/5/08 10:37 pm - Canton, MS
I had a Molina Band in September 1997 and lost over 150# to a mere 130# BUT due to many complications, opted for a revision in March 2007 to Roux-en-Y. Guess what, I lost #30 the first few months and have since gained #60 back. Did it work for me? NO! Am I glad I had the surgery? Have my doubts. IT IS NOT A MIRACLE but I can honestly say that I can now eat without throwing up everyday and feel that I am healthier but not thinner!!!! Good luck.
charleston-mom
on 11/6/08 3:50 am
I had a revision from lapband about 14 months ago, have lost just as fast as any RNY'er and am now 110 pounds and a size 0-2. Go for it. RNY is lightyears better than lapband!
lisacooper
on 11/6/08 7:56 am - new york, NY
thanks i needed to hear that im so tired of hearing negative comments !
Most Active