revision from RNY to DS?

crothers2003
on 10/29/08 6:57 am - Scottsville, VA
Just wondering how difficult it is to have an RNY revisied to DS and how difficult it is to get insurance to pay for it?
mew6495
on 10/29/08 8:41 am - MI
 I know it is a more complicated procedure due to the pouch take down and reconstruct which makes it a higher risk for leaks and complications as well.  But it is not undoable especially with a qualified revision surgeon.  You may want to post your question on the DS board as I think a lot of those folks have had this done.

As far as insurance, this would probably be insurance specific and you would have to contact your carrier to see what your plan allows or go to their website and check out the requirements.

I don't know what insurance you have but I have BCBS MI and they cover revisions providing it is medically necessary.  I chose the ERNY (shorter common channel much like the DS) simply do to the higher risk of the DS.  But I also thought seriously about the DS since it is a good option for long term success as well.

Good Luck to you.
jtrandall
on 11/4/08 6:44 am - TX
Depends on insurance.  Aetna will cover if you don't loose a certain amount of weight and some other criteria.  Bigger problem might be finding a doctor to do it.  I have been turned down by one and was not given a reason.  It was a doctor in another state and he just lookedk over my records and said he couldn't do it.  I am going to a doctor in my state which is still a center of excellence but less experience but still seems like a highly rated doctor.

Ask you insurance company for their WLS revision policy.  They have one, might take some digging to getit.

Jim
Most Active