Has anyone had a revision due to a "blind end?"

Mickey
on 10/29/08 2:10 am - Rockville, CT
Hello All,

I'm in the process of going through a revision due to my original surgery not being performed correctly.

I have what is called a "blind end" where solids & liquids are backing up into (for a better word) a 2nd pouch that does not have an outlet.. causing extreme pain.. backing up into my throat, & burning.  In addition IF food does go down the regular pouch it is instant pain & discomfort.

I'm basically living off of anything phase 2 & tons of protein drinks.  I'm a little over 3 years out.  

Waiting on insurance's ok.. where my new WLS believes it will be covered due to nutritional deficiency and abnormalty/quality of life issues.

Has anyone gone through a revision due to a blind end & can you share your experience with me?

Thank you,
Mickey     
Ginger08
on 10/29/08 3:30 am - IA
I am having something similar to this issue, my isurance has just ok'd this surgery.  I am having horrible pain also, and the food is making it into the second "pouch" it took me almost two years to find out what was the problem but finally after finding a good Dr he has agreed to do the revision, my orginal dr has since retired, I am 20 years out.
Ginger
vgrimli
on 10/29/08 5:51 am - Browns Valley, MN
You will really like Dr. O'Brien. I just had my revision surgery on 10-15-08 from lap band to sleeve.  He is so understanding and goes the extra mile for his patients.  What kind of revision are you looking at? 

Ginger08
on 10/29/08 9:57 am - IA
Hello MN!!!
I wasn't at all impressed with Dr. O'Brien the first time that I met him as he was very busy and didn't really seem to want to take me on, however he did decide to do some tests and when he did find that there was something really wrong and that I wasn't just looking for a reason for the weight coming back on, he totally changed,  He is very good at what he does and I am sure that he is very busy, and I am busy to so when Dr is busy I have a tough time understanding why they can't just give you 100% when they are talking to you, however a good Dr would be taking care of any patience that are having problems also.. I have no idea what was going on that day with him but the next time that we talked he apologized about it and totally gave me 100%.  I also love his nurse she is always so helpful.  And never makes you feel like your questions are silly or annoying....lol....   I am scheduled for a revision to gastric bypass that was preformed 20 years ago, I am hoping that this is the answer to all the pain that I have been having for the past couple years. This is so different that it was 20 years ago.....lol.. I am learning so much this time... I am a bit over whelmed by everything that you have to learn about... amazing how time changes things.
vgrimli
on 10/29/08 9:47 pm - Browns Valley, MN
For my lap band surgery, the doctor had one informational meeting for the public which I attended, then he handed out the papers to fill out and return. Next thing I knew I was approved and going in for surgery.  No information on diet, surgery, etc before hand.  I think that was part of my downfall--no knowledge of what to expect. But this time, WOW! going to the nutritionist, the psych, the doctor, then a class on the surgery.  While in the hospital I had visits from the dietician and an exercise person to give me a schedule of planned exercise times, etc. that I should try to follow.  It was really great and helpful!

Most Active