HELP! Metabolic Bone Disease????

mew6495
on 10/28/08 9:19 pm, edited 10/29/08 12:31 am - MI
 When I went in for my pre op testing for my recent ERNY revision my PCP did the chest X-Ray and said it looked OK as far as surgery was concerned.  He then stated that it looks like there MAY be some bone thinning and he wanted me to come back for a full body bone scan.  Well I went back this past week for this test.  Results not in yet.  

I have been doing some research and am now finding out that some patients who have had the RNY and DS can suffer from Metabolic Bone Disease.  Osteoporosis and bone thinning is under this realm.  I have read that there are several treatments.  1, use calcium citrate and not carbonate (which I already do), 2. Do not take your calcium with your iron supplements (which I do not) and 3. if the above 2 conditions are being met and not correcting the condition then a reversal of the wls may be needed to correct condition, at least in part, and some weight gain will occur.

My question is has anyone been diagnosed with this and if so how were you treated for it?  I really don't want to go through a reversal of my wls (obviously) and after just having a revision, to be honest with you, another surgery scares me to death!

Any input is appreciated.
markys mama
on 10/29/08 10:14 am - independence, CA
oh my goodness this is not good. My mom has this and she has never had WLS. her doc said that it must run in her fam and my grandma has it too. Guess i better up my calcium.
1 hour bf RNY 398
before Baby 220
goal 160
current 285
need to lose 129  chocolate
mew6495
on 10/29/08 10:55 am - MI
 Your Vitamin D also!  
Most Active