RNY vs VGS from Lap Band

MsMarcee
on 10/28/08 6:38 am - Powhatan, VA
I currently have a lap band and I'm in the process of a revision. I've spoke with my doctor about both RNY and VGS. Ultimately the choice is mine, but he recommends the VSG. I like to hear any suggestions as to which would be the better choice and why.
Thanks so much...

- Marcee
204/123/112
Surgery/Current/Goal

tnwalkersu
on 10/28/08 7:14 am - Somerville, TN
I have a band that has broken and am getting a revision to DS.  I thought about the others but decided that the DS was the way to go.  If you are thinking about getting VGS why not all the way with the DS?  I understand that the DS results are better than VGS alone or even the RNY.   You might want to check it out.  On the other hand, is the RNY and VGS the only other WLS your doctor does?  I have to travel to Nashville to get my surgery because no one here is Memphis does it.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

MsMarcee
on 10/28/08 7:17 am - Powhatan, VA
My doctor does Rny, Lapband and VGS. So my choices are RNY or VGS at this point.

- Marcee
204/123/112
Surgery/Current/Goal

PekinSal
on 10/28/08 7:15 am - UK

I chose the DS. Restriction is what you get with RNY and VSG, and the restriction of the band wasn't enough for me. DS has malabsorption too.

DS revision from failed lapband

Zee Starrlite
on 10/29/08 1:43 am
I know the DS is great, BUT so that the poster doesn't get confused, RNY has malabsorbtion too.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tnwalkersu
on 10/28/08 7:28 am - Somerville, TN
You might want to check out you is close to you that will do the DS.  Don't settle on just what your doctor offers you.  Get the surgery you really want.  If the band didn't help then restriction alone won't help.  Check around for other doctors.  If I had surgery here I would be limited to RNY or VGS but I know the DS is the one for me so I will be traveling to Nashville or Kentucky to get mine done.  Which ever my insurance will let me do.  I am going to settle for second best.  If I am going to buy a certain item that a place doesn't carry, I don't settle.  I go looking till I find the one I really want.  Make sure you get what you want.  You are sooo worth it.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

mew6495
on 10/28/08 7:49 am - MI
 If you can't go all the way with the DS as others have suggested or if it is simply not what you want, the RNY also offers the malabsorption aspect as well as the restriction.  However if you go with the RNY I would ask your doctor which type he performs, the Proximal, distal or ERNY.  My suggestion would be to go with at least the distal for greater malabsorption or the ERNY where bottom half (intestinal portion) of the procedure is much like the DS in that it creates a common channel of anywhere from 50cm to 100cm.  This is what gives the DSers the long term success they are seeing.
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/08 8:05 am
I suggest you research all of your choices. Then decide on your lifestyle. Which side effect can you live with the longest? For me, I could no longer tolerate the voimiting and acid reflux with the band. I am 39 and never had acide reflux until I got the band. I also knew I couldn't do the dumping thing with RNY. Some people dump and some dont'. I didn't want to take the chance on dumping. So for me the sleeve was my choice. As with all WLS it is a tool only. And I know I mus****ch my portions and excercise for the rest of my life. That is with any WLS. So think about the pros and cons for each. See if you can also talk or meet with some people in your area locally. Find out in person what their experiences have been. Then you and only you will make that choice for yourself.
Best wishes!
Sally J.
Zee Starrlite
on 10/29/08 1:42 am
If you did well with the Band, then you'll do well with "the sleeve".

On the other hand, if you didn't do well with the Band and it wasn't a mechanical issue then you may need some malabsorbtion.

Good Luck,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active