Lap Band eroded would like revision to VSG ????'s

sierracal
on 10/27/08 4:07 pm - Fort Hood, TX

Just a few questions, did any of you have your band removed because of erosion? If so were you able to have the band removed and the sleeve done in the same surgery? I just found out my band is eroded and I have to have it taken out but I hate to go 1 year with nothing like the surgeon I saw here in TX suggested. Would love to hear your stories! Also anyone with suggestions of TX docs would be helpful!

catherine T.
on 10/27/08 8:47 pm - lindenhurst, ny
Sorry that your band eroded. My husband's band eroded after 4 years and a great 172lb weight loss. My husband had to wait about 6 months to have the band replaced. The problem was that when the surgeon went in to replace the band there was so much scar tissue up at the top where the band would go he could not put the band back. A VSG would not work for him because of the location of the scar tissue. Research all possible options. Good luck
Alex R.
on 10/29/08 5:25 am - Toronto, Canada

When I asked my surgeon prior to my surgery, what would happen if the band eroded.  I was told that one of two things would happen.

He would determine during surgery that, depending on what he saw:

(a)  the band would be removed and after a six month healing period, a new band would be placed, or

(b)  the band would be removed and he would do a VSG during the same surgery as the removal. 

I also had the choice to skip part (a) and go directly to VSG.

Height - 5'6"    French MIDband:  13 fills, current 8.7ccs - capacity 12 ccs

vgrimli
on 10/29/08 6:03 am - Browns Valley, MN
I just had my lap band removed.   There was so much scar tissue the doctor could not do a RNY so he did a sleeve at the same time he removed the band.  I did not have to wait.   It is going very well for me.  I had surgery on the 15th of October and am down 32 pounds so far.

Start weight 322
Surgery weight 308
Current weight 290

Most Active