Too soon for a revision

Monkey
on 10/27/08 12:18 am - los angeles, CA
I had surgery on 04/09/08 and I have only lost 51 pounds. I haven't lost any weight in 3 months,
I don't get the full feeling that everyone is talking about and I am able to eat like I did before the surgery!  I don't of course , but I just wanted to test it out, and this made me very concerned. I have also read that people get sick if they consume anything higher than 11 grams of sugar, again, I wanted to test it out and I drank a glass of orange juice with a total of 33 grams of sugar and had no affect on me, I did not get sick, I am so sad over this.  I was bypassed 100cm and I think it should of been more... I wonder if I can have a revision or is it too soon.

Please advise...

Veronica
mew6495
on 10/27/08 1:43 am - MI
 What kinds of foods are you eating?  Carbs are the ENEMY!  They break down quickly and most of the calories will be absorbed, which is the case with any of the wls options to some extent.  

Not everyone dumps.  Very few do at all especially the longer you get out from surgery.  The amount of sugar that it takes to make you dump can vary from one person to the next.  I had rny 7 years ago and I have only dumped a couple of times and haven't in years.  So don't go by this.  Everyone's body is different.

I would recommend first start taking a close look at what your actual food intake is.  Utilizing a journal can be very helpful and there are a couple of free on line journals that will do all the nutrition calculations for you.  Fitday.com is one that comes to mind.  If you are heavy on the carb side, do what you can to cut them out.  You can also try the 5 day pouch test to try and kick start yourself again.  If you google it you will find the web site.

You may want to go see your doctor, explain your concerns and ask about an upper GI and and EGD to determine what the size of your pouch and the condition of your stoma are.  Maybe yours was not made small enough or perhaps there is a mechanical failure of some type.  But before going this route I would make sure you have checked everything out from your side so when the doctor starts asking questions you are prepared and can back up your stance that there is nothing you are doing that is hindering the weight loss process.  It does seem early out for you to be having these type of issues.  How much can you eat at one meal?  I was originally only bypassed the 100cm which I think is somewhat the norm for a proximal rny.  Many doctors choose to go this route to be more on the cautious side with the malabsorption aspect.  Even so, I lost quickly for the first 8 months to 1 year.  I had started to slow between this time.  But then again, everyone is different.

Good Luck to you.
charleston-mom
on 10/29/08 1:13 am, edited 10/29/08 1:13 am
What are you eating? I'm not sure what they would revise you to. The hardest part of this surgery is that it's only a tool. You have to work really really hard at it, every day, all day long. Only 30-40% of people get dumping syndrome. The others never get it. So - most people don't have it and you have to be conscious and dedicated yourself not to eat the wrong things. If you haven't lost any weight in 3 months, I think it may be what you are eating. Are you exercising too?

I had a proximal RNY (revision from lapband) a year ago. I've lost over 140 pounds, but I'm pretty careful about what I eat and am swimming a mile every day. Can you tell us what you are eating - say a weeks' worth of menus and what your exercise routine is and we can try to help?

I eat one egg scrambled for breakfast. A protein snack at about 10. 3-4 ounces of shrimp for lunch. A protein snack (like cheese) at 3:00 p.m. and tuna or broiled chick or shrimp for dinner (3-4 ounces) with a vegetable. An evening snack would be a yogurt. So I'm basically having about 700-900 calories a day. I don't eat much in the way of carbs and I don't eat any bread, rice or white carbs at all.
Most Active