Band over Sleeve?

MarisaC.
on 10/25/08 2:31 pm - Katy, TX
Thinking of getting the band over the sleeve.  Doctor agrees it can be done, but I will be his first.  Anyone had this procedure done before? I have lost a total of 38 lbs in 6 months with the sleeve.  I want to loose 50 more and dont want to do the  by pass...
PekinSal
on 10/26/08 1:30 am - UK
You're already half way to a DS - have you looked into getting the switch part done?

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

liveinphx
on 10/26/08 2:21 am - Phoenix, AZ
I am a little confused. You say you had the sleeve but it shows you had VGB which is a different procedure.
I am a bit confused about why you are seeking a revision within 6 mos of your original surgery since both are restrive surgery.
Please help me understand.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
MarisaC.
on 10/26/08 9:49 am - Katy, TX
sorry liveinphx, I had the sleeve.  Hey how do I change that?  and in 6 months I have only lost 38 lbs. unlike my sis who had the band and have lost closer to 50.  My doctor says he can do the band, and I dont know if he does the Duodenal Switch.  I would really like to stay with the same doctor, but dont mind venturing out a bit either.  I was advised on the message board to lay off the carbs.  had no idea that they cause you to crave! LOL Im gonna try that for a week and see if the lbs start coming off again.  I do eat a lot of carbs in a day!  So, tell me how to change the VBG to the VSG.  I just happened upon it last night and now cant remember!
Marisa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLuXBtV/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLuXBtV/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
liveinphx
on 10/26/08 10:14 am - Phoenix, AZ
Sorry I can't help with the changing the profile thing.
Carbs can pack on the pounds, slow the weight loss and cause craving for more carbs.
I am not sure how getting the sleeve would help though cause you could still eat carbs. My surgeon was pretty clear that protein needed to come first and after that veggies and after that complex carbs. Any of the WLS can "fail" if we don't change the way we eat.
You may want to try changing your behavior before you subject yourself to another surgery. My understanding is VSG generally has as good as if not better sucess rate than the band.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
MarisaC.
on 10/26/08 10:26 am - Katy, TX
I found it...its under post op under the account!  Thanks for your advice as well!  Will try to lower my carbs and post under the VSG board in a week!
Marisa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLuXBtV/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLuXBtV/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
JSIL
on 10/26/08 12:57 pm
I really can't say too much because I haven't had my sleeve yet, but I think you should really cut out the carbs and use the sleeve to its full potential.  I had the lap-band and you don't want it.  I was sick constantly and just had it removed.  I would really think about sticking to the sleeve diet plan and if that doesn't work than I would consider DS before the lap-band.  Read the lap-band board, so many people are having them taken out because of erosion, slips, and port problems.  This is just my opinion, good luck in your choice. 

Zee Starrlite
on 10/29/08 1:57 am, edited 10/29/08 1:58 am
If your going to revise, best you finish what you started.  A sleeve can even be narrower than our esophagus - then to Band it and possibly end up with mechanical issues or harm the rest of the stomach that you have left.  It wouldn't be worth it - to me.  I would get the DS with a longer common channel - 150+ can be done - I've heard up to 250cms.

Good Luck - and not for nothing, the band over sleeve sounds like a bad idea to me.  I believe Dr. Eliazary (spell) does  that regularly as a security with some of his sleeve and complete DS patients (talk to AmpleBeauty).

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active