Hopeless

Donzelle
on 10/24/08 6:15 am - TX
My news just keeps getting worse.  First I was told that I had to show 6 months of trying to loose weight.  I got proof of that .  Today I was told that my insurance blue cross blue shield UT health requires one to be morbidly obese for 5 yrs. before they do any surgery, revision or not.  They will however cover my broken band.  I am beside myself.  I guess the weight I have worked so hard to keep off is gonna come back.  I filed for an appeal but it sounds like I'm going to be in for a long wait.

Donzelle
IvaQ
on 10/24/08 6:38 am
Donzelle...

You are NOT HOPELESS!!  NEVER say that!!!

If something is that important to you...fight it tooth and nail! 

Get your facts together and make a logical plan of action to appeal this denial.

Now...there are rules to appeals..you have a certain amount of time to appeal..they have a certain amount of time to respond.

Get out your insurance handbook and go over it with a fine tooth comb!!  Knowledge is power.

And you may want to consider getting in contact with a lawyer to specializes in weight issues.

Best of luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Donzelle
on 10/24/08 6:40 am - TX
On October 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, IvaQ wrote:
Donzelle...

You are NOT HOPELESS!!  NEVER say that!!!

If something is that important to you...fight it tooth and nail! 

Get your facts together and make a logical plan of action to appeal this denial.

Now...there are rules to appeals..you have a certain amount of time to appeal..they have a certain amount of time to respond.

Get out your insurance handbook and go over it with a fine tooth comb!!  Knowledge is power.

And you may want to consider getting in contact with a lawyer to specializes in weight issues.

Best of luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Thanks so much for your response.
pepsi98
on 10/25/08 7:00 am - Norwich, CT
Contact [email protected] .  I did and with their help BC/BS of CT overturned their denial.  I am getting a lap band over my old bypass on 12/10.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Donzelle
on 10/27/08 7:18 am - TX
Hello,

Thanks so much for your info.  That was really helpful.  Is your surgery 12/10/08?  What type of bypass did you have?  I am considering rny.  Did you have any negative experience with it? Would you recommend it?

Donzelle
pepsi98
on 10/27/08 7:57 am - Norwich, CT
I had the gastric bypass back in 1982...I was told by my new surgeon that it is done differently now.  I gained my weight back and have lived morbidly obese for all of my adult life.  I will (hopefully) have a band placed over that old bypass.  I say hopefully because there is no way to know how much scar tissue is in there.

I would recommend doing a lot of research on all different procedures and find the one that you can live with and believe in.  There are all kinds of options out there, you just have to investigate.  I hope and pray that my choice in a band is the right one for me!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active