Afraid of it not working .......

ScarlettC
on 10/26/08 2:40 pm
Hi --- I'm new to this site but have been reading for several weeks.  I've had a band for 5 years that didn't work for me.....I'm having the band removed and  having gastric bypass surgery Tuesday 10/28.  What was the recovery like in comparison to the band surgery?  Curious as to what to expect.....any help would be great.  Thanks
lapoli7
on 10/26/08 1:01 pm - Rialto, CA
I had enough fills for restriction, but I kept having reflux that would swell up my esoughagus and I couldn't even sip water. SO, I am having the revision before I cause irreversable damage.

Thanks for the comments. I feel positive about my decision and promise to let people know how it goes after surgery. Just in case anyone goes through the worry of the revision surgery not working.  I know that my story will help someone during there WLS journey!

Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Surgery- revision from LapBAND to RNY 11/28/08
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6
415 lbs  / 403 lbs / 316 lbs  /220 lbs
highest / surgery / current  /   goal

GingerrC27
on 10/26/08 2:44 pm - Edinburg, TX
I haven't had surgery yet but am hoping I'll be able to get gastric bypass.  I have a consultation on Dec. 16 here in Texas so hopefully all goes well.  I lost some weight but regained a little and lost again on my 3 month diet required for Medicare coverage.  Although, I'm trying to eat healthy and get exercise, I just thought I'd share that I'm also scared of the surgery not working forever.
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/08 8:50 am
Are we twins or what? I had the same issues with the band. Once I started getting fills, I had swelling and couldn't keep liquids down. I voimited twice at work. Which was embarrassing and the last straw for me. It was very dissappointing to go through all the changes to get banded. But, I am moving forward. Putting all that behind me and looking at this as a new start. And it is ! I am looking forward to being at a healthier life and a healthier weight. Getting around better, being in better shape and feeling good about myself and future. Just keep looking forward and enjoying each day. You will do it this time! I wish you the best! My revision is on Nov 11th from band to sleeve. 
I can't wait!
Sally J. 
ScarlettC
on 10/26/08 2:43 pm
No, you are not alone in having those feelings.  I also have a band that I'm having removed Tuesday 10/28 and changed to a RNY.    I['m ready but so unsure as to what to expect.
charleston-mom
on 10/26/08 11:39 pm
I had that evil band too. Horrible thing! I had a revision to RNY last August (1 year ago) and have lost all my weight. I'm 110 pounds now and a size 2 or 0 depending on the manufacturer. You can do it! There is no comparison at all between the two surgeries. RNY is 1,000 times better!
Most Active