Afraid of it not working .......

lapoli7
on 10/23/08 1:37 am - Rialto, CA

Ok, I am scheduled for my revision from Lapband to RNY next month.
I find myself getting excited and thinking of how my life is going to change for the better, not to mention the weight I will lose. THEN,
I tell myself not to get ahead of myself because I felt this way with the BAND and it didn't work at all. I'm just so scared that I will
not see results, but in the back of my mind i know there has to be results. I feel like I'm driving myself crazy sometimes...is there anyone else out there that has felt this way?? If so can you give me some advice??

Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Surgery- revision from LapBAND to RNY 11/28/08
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6
415 lbs  / 403 lbs / 316 lbs  /220 lbs
highest / surgery / current  /   goal

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 2:35 am - OXNARD, CA
Hi there!

I'm new to this site so my profile doesn't give much information about me. I also have the lapband and it was put in about 5 years ago. I'm so disappointed that it didn't work the way I thought it would. I thought I was the only one was having this problem, until I found this website. I'm thinking about having the gastric bypass. It upsets me to think that if I would have just had the gastric from the beginning, I would be thin and enjoying life by this point. Now I just feel like I wasted a whole lot of time. I'm barely at the beginning stages for the gastric bypass. My doctor sent a referral to the insurance and now I'll have to wait and see what happens. What I'm worried about is the insurance covering for the removal of my lapband. I paid for it myself when I got it. If you don't mind me asking, are you paying for this yourself or is it covered by your insurance?  I'm really happy for you and i'm sure this time around you'll get the results you were hoping for. Thanks for reading and good luck to you!
lapoli7
on 10/23/08 3:00 am - Rialto, CA

Lechita- I was a self pay also. I had it done in Mexico. My insurance is covering
the revision surgery. I have Kaiser.

I also felt like a complete failure with the band. When I found this website I was so happy to see that I wasn't alone. Good Luck on your journey, I hope all goes well!

Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6

mew6495
on 10/23/08 3:57 am - MI
 I understand your fear.  I just had my revision from RNY to ERNY on Oct 3rd and dealt with all those emotions.  What if it don't work, what if I made the wrong choice, what if I fail again.......I think this is normal.  Take a deep breath, try and focus on the positive.  Our thoughts can create our cir****tances.  I know for me, I have learned a lot from my first wls and I am determined to make this one work for me.  I have changed my attitude and thought processes and so far so good even though I am in the early stages of my new journey.  Your frame of mind will make a world of difference so will your commitment.  

Hang in there you will do absolutely great.  Good luck on your new journey!
specialwalnut
on 10/27/08 5:47 am - Bedford, VA
could you please tell me the difference in the RNY and the ERNY? I had a RNY in 2000 and need a revision and I have a Dr. appointment in Nov. and I would like to have a idea about what I would like. I know I don't want a band. Thank you in advance.
mew6495
on 10/27/08 6:00 am - MI
 An ERNY is where the common channel is shortened usually to 100 cm or below.  This allows for greater malabsorption and long term success.  Much like the DS procedure.  My original RNY was proximal where they bypassed very little intestine.  In this revision procedure they typically do not do anything to the pouch portion of the original RNY.
Ms TJ P.
on 10/23/08 4:59 am - VA
You will do just fine, it will be a fresh new start with RNY, leave all the band issues in the past. You will lose again, and will be please with yourself. Take Care.

Tonya
lapoli7
on 10/24/08 2:54 am - Rialto, CA
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am trying to keep as positive as I can. When I start to think those what if things...I just remember that the band failed me. It wasn't the tool I needed.
So I KNOW this RNY will be a completely different experience.

I turn 32 next month , so my old birthday and new birthday will be in the same month .

Thanks again for the positive thoughts!
Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6

pepsi98
on 10/25/08 7:09 am - Norwich, CT
I'm just curious...what happened with your band?  Did you have enough fills to give you restriction?
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Madcow
on 10/26/08 3:08 am - MA
Hi - I also had a band and had it revised to an RnY about 4 weeks ago.  So far I have lost 24 pounds and am beghinning to feel pretty good.  It is a lot easier than the band in some ways to eat but I still had to overcome some of my old bad band habits.It's a lot of surgery to go through and i actually had a harder time with the revision in terms of recovery.   Just take it easy with yourself and you'll do great!

240/140/138
Most Active