SELF PAID FAILED LAPBAND

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 3:13 am - OXNARD, CA
I got the lapband 5 years ago and was unsuccesful. I lost about 30 pounds in the beginning and gained it all back and then some. I paid for the lapband myself back then because my insurance wouldn't cover it. Now i'm trying to get the gastric bypass covered by my insurance. Does anyone know if my insurance does approve the gastric bypass, would they cover the removal of the band or is that something I would have to pay for myself since I paid for it to begin with? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

*Lechita*
mew6495
on 10/23/08 4:01 am - MI
 All insurances are different.  I would suggest calling them and inquiring.  You could also talk to your doctor about it and what his plans would be for this if you are approved for your RNY surgery.   Perhaps he can remove it at that time without to much problem.

Good Luck.
DMS923
on 10/23/08 4:12 am - NY
I got a lapband 4 yrs ago then a second one 2 years ago - both un-successful.  I am now happy to say that on November 5 I will be having this darn thing removed and I am being revised to RNY all covered by insurance.

Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
Magyargal
on 10/24/08 5:59 am
Call your health care insurance company. They can give you all the answers you need... I did and yes mine is covered!!! PTL!!!! I had stomach stapling in Feb 1992...I have BC/BS FEP.. Not all BC/BS are the same! We have Federal...I wish you the best...  My staple line opened up on me...I hope to be on the losers bench soon!! But Now to find a Doctor who will did it.. The one I have now said  he is referring me to another Doctor....My Doc is not sure that Doc will do it either... I had too many stomach surgery's,  4 C-Sections alone...I am sad because I really like my  Doctor I have now....Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

louisec
on 10/26/08 11:26 pm - Orange County, CA
if it is medically necessary and you are in California, you can not be denied. Even if the Insurance company denies you- take it to the state. The state will overturn the ruling.
It must be medically necessary (via BMI & Dr notes).

There is a law on the books that states that any medically necessary procedure can not be denied. I do not know where the law is or the wording, I do know that you should keep fighting and let it go to the final stage of denial (state appeal) and they will overturn it.

EVEN if your insurance has an iron-clad exclusion, it won't help them, not in California.
Most Active