Revision; any change to limb

Rebecca T.
on 10/22/08 1:25 am - KISSIMMEE, FL
Hi.
I'm having a revision of a lap RNYGBP.  My surgeon is redoing the pouch size and stoma, but is doing nothing with the limb length.  Does anyone have any perspective on this?
Also, any body out there have a revision?  Was is more difficult?  Open vs lab?  More complications or in ICU post op?  Any insight would be appreciated.  I'm scheduled for Mon. 10/27.
Rebecca
Ginger08
on 10/22/08 1:42 am - IA
Hi Rebecca,
I am in the same boat as you, I am scheduled for Dec 3rd.  When did you have your first one done, I am 20 years post opt.. wow things are different now...
I have to have open due to other surgeries that I have had and all the scar tissue, I am having another surgeon do my surgery because the other one is now retired, so he has done tests to see just wha is the floor plan of my tummy now, I am hoping and praying that we have no problems..... I wish you all the luck on Monday.... I am sure that you will do just great!
Ginger
ginau
on 10/22/08 9:53 am - mesa, AZ
Hey Ginger

Your going to do great ,, Listen to MEW  ( marie )   Our Dr is awesome and an Open procedure  will give the dr a better chance to clean up and address any additional things going on ,, I have a friend they found a few (5) hernia's on . 

Attitude is a very big part of it all !! stay posative, stay on meds and one day at a time .

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

mew6495
on 10/22/08 3:04 am - MI
 Hi, I just had a revision of my RNYGB on Oct. 3rd.  My revision consisted of giving me a shorter common channel (intestinal portion).  My pouch was left alone.  I wanted the greater malabsorption for the long term success prospects.  If you are looking for opinions my .02 is, if your original rny was a proximal, which a lot of them were.  Then I would talk to your surgeon about going more distal or to an ERNY with the intestines as well as the pouch reconstruct.

Mine was not more difficult.  As a matter of fact I found it easier this time around.  My was done open which I had wanted.  I wanted the Doc to look and see if there were any other issues going on and with the higher risk of revisions I was more comfortable with it being open.  I was glad he did do it this way as he also fixed a large hernia, a partial bowel obstruction and some adhesions I had.  So it paid off for me 100 fold.  I only had to be in the hospital one night.  

Other suggestions....your frame of mind going into it is big.  Try to stay positive about it and when done stay on top of the pain meds for the first few days to a week.  Helps so it doesn't get out of control and gives you time to heal.

Good Luck to you.
Most Active