Some kinda law?

crothers2003
on 10/21/08 1:39 am - Scottsville, VA
Just wanted to kmow if anyone has ever heard of it being against the law for a physician who does revisions to operate on a patient who needs a revision and the patient was not there original patient. My original physiacian has left the area and is no longer covered under my insurance so I am having to look elsewhere to get it covered. Also if you need a revision, does this classify as a pre-existing illness.
mew6495
on 10/21/08 3:13 am - MI
 I have never heard of that law.  Wonder how they could enforce it?  I mean, physician's die, move, quite practice etc.  

I had a revision at the beginning of this month.  My original wls was in 2001.  Had a different doctor for each.    Not sure about the pre-existing illness.  I would suggest calling your insurance or getting on to their web site and see what their inclusions or exclusions are.

Good Luck.
Kelly V.
on 10/21/08 7:51 am - Galion, OH

That can't be a law as the other poster stated physicians pass away or move.   However, I do know some surgeons who don't want to take the risk and view it as a liability.  But keep searching and you will find one.

Your actual surgery is not a pre-existing condition but your obesity is.  You would have to view the coverage to determine how long they look at pre-ex conditions.  Normally it is 12 months.  However, unless you are at your goal weight or have been in the past 12 months or were considered obese that would be pre-ex.

IvaQ
on 10/22/08 7:21 am

Did someone tell you that this was a law?  Because it sounds silly!

Remember ...we are allowed and encouraged to get 2nd , 3rd opinions...

You have choices...you may have to fight for them...but you do have choices..it's YOUR HEALTH! :)

ginau
on 10/22/08 9:49 am - mesa, AZ
LAW ???  

Nope never heard of it ,, Some Dr's  malpractice ins might have exclusions for them . Like  Mexican Lap bands and want fills done here in the U.S.

Sounds like more to this story ...

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

charleston-mom
on 10/29/08 1:23 am
There is no such law. It would be pretty unfair to surgeons to have a law requiring them to operate on anyone. They have to be able to have a choice and operate on people who in their best judgment need surgery, could tolerate surgery, and would be successful after surgery. A lot of doctors won't do revisions on patients who weren't successful in the first place because they don't feel they will be successful a second time due to non-compliance. Unless there is a technical issue for why weight loss surgery didn't work, I fully understand a surgeon's concern about not taking on a patient they don't feel would be successful. And yes, it is a pre-existing condition.
Most Active