Goodbye stupid lapband!

nicole u
on 10/21/08 4:46 am - holbrook, NY
Revision on 12/01/08 with
Hello!
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am happy and nervous at the same time!!  I got a call on Friday from my surgeon's office that they wanted to take my lapband out (OPEN) and wait 2 months till I heal and then do the bypass.  I don't know what made me get a funny taste in my mouth, but I asked for my records to be released and I was going to start over.
That very day, I researched and researched some more.  I came across Dr. Vohra.  I talked to his coordinator Gail and felt at ease right away.  She told me to come to the office at 5:00 Monday (last night.)
I got there and knew I had made the right decision to switch.  The people there are 100% AMAZING!  Dr. Vohra also suggested to take the band out, let me stomach heal and then in 2 months to go ahead with the bypass.  I feel more at ease with him because he is doing it Lap and not Open.
I got a call today and I am going to have emergency surgery Thursday to have my band removed.  I am soooo nervous and scared, but I know everything happens for a reason.
I wi**** could all be done at once, but I rather go the safe route.

My question is for anyone who had the band removed and was converted to the bypass, was it done at once or in two steps like mine??? 
A bit nervous over here!!  Help me!!!

298/182/143
Surgery/ Current/ Goal

Madcow
on 10/21/08 4:56 am - MA
I recently had it all at once - the band and port removed, a hernia repaired and the bypass done.  It was a long operation and a lot of surgery but I only had to go under once. 

240/140/138
NeedhamGal
on 10/21/08 7:03 am - MA
I have the same doc as MadCow and he removes the band and does the RNY in one operation. He has done several of them this way...there are other gals on these boards who had Lautz who also had the single step operation.
Good luck.
joan
tnwalkersu
on 10/21/08 7:21 am - Somerville, TN
I'm with you!  Just get this thing out of me.  I am having a revision from band to DS.  I know how you feel.  I just started mt paperwork and soon hope to join everyone else that wants the band taken out.  My surgery will be done in one step.  Removal of the band and then the DS by lap.  I don't want open.  You didn't say what happened to your band.  Leak or break?

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

MARCIAM
on 10/21/08 2:10 pm - Sayville, NY
Hi Nicole!  My doctor also insisted on taking out my band first to let my stomach rest up before the RNY.  I was upset at the time but it really turned out for the best. Good luck and please let us know how you feel.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Valerieb09
on 10/22/08 10:00 am - Seacoast, NH
I had it recently done too.  It was a long surgery as he had to remove adhesions and repair a hernia.  I was in the OR about five hours.  It's far easier to have it done all at once but I guess it would depend on the surgeon and whether or not you had erosion to the stomach or something that required healing time.
I am VERY, VERY glad I had the lapband removed.  I have done pretty well with my weight loss and eating is normal now.
Valerie
charla1019
on 10/22/08 12:09 pm - Wayne, PA
Hi Nicole,
 My Dr. feels the same way your does. He wants to take out the lapband (LAP) and then heal for 2 months. He told me the tissues need to heal first then it would be like starting all new again. He also said that you get good results that way, but I know there are a lot of people on here that had it done in 1 surgery and have done very well. I was a little upset that he couldn't do mine in 1 surgery since my lapband removal is Oct 28th and I have to wait till Jan to get bypass but I have made peace with it now and figured that I can start the new year right and still at least enjoy the holidays and not be in pain
. Man it is a good thing that you changed and are not having (open) removal. That would have been more painful and long time to heal. I would have changed to if my Dr. said that to me! Good luck on Thurs. keep us updated. I will be 5 days right behind you!!
DMS923
on 10/23/08 4:18 am - NY
I am having my lapband taken out and the revision all at the same time via Lap....I am hoping this is the last time as I already went through surgery twice with lapbands and the third time better be the charm.  My removal/revision is Nov 5...cant wait.....
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
JSIL
on 10/23/08 1:02 pm
Hi, I had my STUPID band 4/3/07, I got it removed on 8/19/08.  The surgery was easy, I didn't really have any problems with the band, but my Doctor wanted my to wait 3 months for healing before getting the sleeve.  I am scheduled for my sleeve on 11/7/08.  I think for some surgeons, depending on what they find during removal...they wait to be safe.  I am OK with that, better safe the sorry!  Good luck!  Jenny

Linda O.
on 10/23/08 11:09 pm - Medford, MA
Hi,

I am having my removal and RNY done at the same time, on Nov 19th. I can't wait. My surgeon removed most of the fluid in the band a few months ago, it helped the reflux a lot but not completely. I can't wait !!!
Most Active