scard of gastric but cant get lap band...

nichole
on 10/20/08 3:04 pm, edited 10/20/08 3:05 pm - Concord, NC
Hey everyone. I was considering Lap band until I found out that with Medicade they wont pay for me to have it because I have a high BMI of 72. I am still hopeing I can still figure a way to get it but in the meantime, I am searching info on Gastric Bypass. Everyone tells me that is the best thing for me to get not only because of my BMI but its alot better than Lap Band because you dont have as many problems with leakage, port problems, having to go and get fills, ect... I know many of you have had Lap band and since went to Gastric Bypass... What I am wanting to know is why you chose to go to Gastric and is it really as scary as it seems? I am really scard to get Gastric. I know you have a greater chance of dieing with Gastric than Lap band and that was the MAIN reason I was wanting Lap band to begain with... My cousin had Gastric about 5 or 6 years ago and about 2 years ago started having problems due to Gastric and now she can barley walk. Something to do with scar tissue or something.. So Gastric is really scary too me... I know I have to do SOMETHING though and if I cant get Lap Band then I will face my fears and do Gastric... Thank you so much to everyone that replys!
-StarrNichole
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 11:51 pm - Woodbridge, VA
With a BMI of 72, you should really consider the Duodenal Switch (DS). Come read and ask some questions on the DS board--tons of knowledgeable folks! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
tnwalkersu
on 10/21/08 7:27 am - Somerville, TN
You go Jilly!  People need to take in all the information they can get.  I can't wait to get my DS and get this band out.  I believe that the band is good for light weights maybe but those of us that are bigger,  we need something more drastic.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Zee Starrlite
on 10/22/08 2:06 am
Have you considered the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy w. Duodenal Switch (The DS)?  If you are very responsible in gaining knowledge and taking care of yourself, it could be the best way for you to go.

Best of Luck on your weight loss journey.

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Sue R.
on 10/23/08 2:55 am - mandeville, LA
I had the Lap-Band in 2005. I was very successful with the band and lost about 80 pounds. It had to be removed 1 year ago due to an erosion. I chose the band over the GB for all of what I though were safe reasons. Well,I am having a revisional GB next Wednesday and I am a little nervous but I can tell you, what I have gone through with Dr's, insurance, Employee benefits, appeals, ect. I wish I would have had the GB to begin with. Find a good qualified Surgeon. Trust in him or her. Follow their instructions and you will do fine. Nothing is easy and no surgery comes without risk. Good luck to you, I wish you well
Most Active