Get this lap band out of me~

KikiK
on 10/20/08 3:11 pm - Boston, MA
So I am so tired of the complications I have had from the band.  I have had it for 4 years and my quality of life has just gone down hill.  I have been hospitalized 4 times.  The last time was two weeks ago because the scar tissue arround the band got really thick and pretty much closed up the stoma..  They went down and widened it through an endoscopy.  My heartburn was terrible and I was vomitting in my sleep even if I didn't eat 4 hours before bed.  Now I am completely unfilled and could eat a cow and he will not fill me again.

Anyway, when I asked my doc about changing to RNY he said I would need to gain the weight back #$%^&*&^%$%^&*&^%$ ! in order for insurance to cover it!
I am not happy with this answer-especially after all the plastics.

I am 150-155 and I do not want to gain any weight back. Obviously without something helping me, I will gain it back.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Kiki

Former successful band-er: lost 80 lbs until it slipped.
RNY on 12/7/11

DonnaMaria
on 10/20/08 10:57 pm
Kiki,
Hello. I am no expert but I would research statistics on weight gain after the band is removed then I would contact the insurance company. There is never any cut and dry decisions made by the insurance companies. They might be just as happy to have your band removed with all the medical bills you are incurring. Best of Luck, Donna
Madcow
on 10/20/08 11:07 pm - MA
Kiki - I am so sorry that you are having trouble.  I also had band troubles after I got down to my goal weight.  My band was emptied last November and overall with an empty band I gained almost 50 pounds.  Like you I got down to about 144 and by the time I first saw my surgeon about a revision I was up to 178 last March and by the day of surgery I was nearing 200.  Yuck!  My understanding is that the insurance companies look at your highest ever weight for revisions, not your current weight.  You might want to ask your surgeon about that.  My surgeon was encouraging me to get a revision even when I was in my 170's..

240/140/138
NeedhamGal
on 10/21/08 7:07 am - MA
why don't you call your insurance company to see if they have clear guidelines on revisions.
I had Tufts and the doc office did say they were not RNY friendly, and that they warned me that Tufts may suggest having my band fixed instead of ripped out.
And,I did gain some weight when my band was empty and I was at 40 bmi at time of the resubmit for insurance.
Tufts makes a first time take the I can Change program, but the doc asked for it to be waived in my instance and they did.
So...I would start with the insurance company.

I hope you get your band out soon...you will be much happier.

Joan
babsintx
on 10/21/08 10:49 pm - GA
Hi Kiki,

The guidelines for revisions are signifiantly different than for a virgin surgery. The removal of the band is medically necessary based on what you say about your complications. In most cases it doesnt require a precert since its medically necessary. However, the revision needs to be precertified so if you plan on doing a one step revision then you need to jump through a few hoops but not nearly the amount of hoops you would jump through if you were going for your first surgery. At the time of my revision, my bmi was back up to 38, but i had no comorbidities. I got approved for a band to sleeve revision. The criteria is different and you need to talk to your insurance company about it.

Babs

Most Active