Other Surgeons Who Specialyze In Revisions; Laps vs Open

annieb04
on 10/19/08 5:04 pm

Hi All,
I have read about and have appreciated information about Dr. Schlesinger's practice out of Az. He sounds like a very credible bariatric surgeon. In addition to experience level, I'm interested in specialize training in bariatric surgery. Does Dr. Schlesinger tend to do open vs laps? 

Has anyone else had any experience with a bariatric surgeon or knows of a bariatric surgeon who specialize in revisions. Please specify type of revision and indicate if you had an open or a lap.

Thanks Again

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/08 9:33 pm - TX
I am a revision from RNY to DS.  My surgeon, Dr. Husted, has been featured on Discovery Channel and has in fact, posted several pages here on the revision forum. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/revision-weight-l oss-surgery.html

My RNY was open and I requested my revision be open, as well.  Since revision surgery is so much riskier and the RNY to DS the most difficult of them all, I wanted to make sure they could see anything and everything they needed to. 

Ruth A.
on 10/20/08 6:38 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi Starry1st

I notice that Dr Husted is based in KY and you are in TX.  Did you travel to him?  May I ask how you chose him over other surgeons?

Thanks, Ruth
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 7:38 am - TX
On October 20, 2008 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, Ruth A. wrote:
Hi Starry1st

I notice that Dr Husted is based in KY and you are in TX.  Did you travel to him?  May I ask how you chose him over other surgeons?

Thanks, Ruth
Actually at the time I was looking for a surgeon, I lived in IL and Dr. Husted was in San Francisco.  I flew out there, stayed for 12 days, then flew home.  I went to him because he is one of the best of the best and since a revision from RNY to DS is the most difficult, I wanted to stack all odds in my favor.  Must have worked, because I'm over 2 years out and have never had a day of problems. 

mew6495
on 10/20/08 2:15 am - MI
 Hello Annie04,

Dr. Schlesinger tends to do open on his revisions for much of the same reasons Starry1st mentioned in her post, due to the risk of revision etc.  He does treat each patient as an individual basis.  Best to call his office and ask your questions for more specific answers to your situation.  He is open to answering the questions even before you make your final decision.  
LoriAS
on 10/20/08 9:22 am - CA
 Ruth,

I work for Dr. Husted and we have patients fly in from all over the country.
I have made special arrangements with some of the local hotels and to be honest, most of our patients live at least a few hundred miles away. It certainly does speak volumes for him.

As for open or closed procedures, unless you specifically ask to be open, Dr. Husted will do his best to do your revision surgery lap. Obviously, it will depend on previous abdominal surgeries and scar tissue. etc.

Lori

AphY Girl
on 10/21/08 10:59 pm
Doctor Charlie Procter in Gainsville GA also is an experienced revision surgeon.  He will be either changing me to a DS or an ERNY - we haven't chosen at this point.  However, the surgery will be before the end of the year.

Good luck!
Most Active