Gastroplasty to DS

Kathy H.
on 10/18/08 11:42 am - Kent, WA
I had a gastroplasty nearly 20 years ago and I'm considering a DS conversion. I'm interested to know if anyone has gone through this procedure, whether it's able to be done laproscopically, and if you've been successful with it. I've heard that we second-surgery folks are slower to lose than first-timers ... our bodies having adjusted to the smaller amount of food. So... information, please, and personal experiences and opions. All of it's welcomed. Please feel free to reply here or with a personal note.

I'm attending a meeting with Dr Oh in Federal Way, Washington, on the 27th of this month, and hope to get the ball rolling.

Any information you have to offer would be appreciated. I've been doing a lot of reading on RNY vs DS the last few days (after a member here pointed me to some literature), and I think I'm leaning toward DS. But I'm certainly willing to entertain alternate thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

Kathy H
Deb *.
on 10/20/08 12:20 am
I can't answer the questions on the DS, as my revision was from a VBG (vertical banded gastroplasty) to RNY last year.  But my experience with the weight loss has not really been slower than others.  I had my VBG done in 1992, and was revised to RNY in March 07.  I've lost 233lbs in 19 months.  Definitely not slow in my book, though I had also heard that revisions tend to lose slower.  I really think it depends on your body, metabolism, and ability to add exercise, etc.

Debbi

runnergirl
on 10/20/08 12:45 am - Canada
 Hi Kathy,
I had my VBG done a little over ten years ago. I had my revision to the DS done three weeks ago. It went well and I am very pleased. My post op was easier the second time around, which really surprised me. I weighed myself this morning and I am down 23 lbs. I will be three weeks out on Tuesday. I didn't know what to expect with loss because I was a revision, but I am doing fine so far. They say .5 to 1 lb a day for Ds patients in the first few months.  Personally I am thrilled. Good luck with your research and just keep asking anyone and everyone questions.

Heather
Nancy K.
on 10/20/08 2:00 am - Joliet, IL

I had a gastroplasty done nearly 25 years ago. On the 15th of May of this year I went in for what I hoped would be a revision to the DS. Surgery took 5 hours and was done Lap. I was supposed to be able to be released in 4 days. The problem was that as soon as they decided to let me drink a small amount I would throw it right back up. I had a complete gastric outlet obstruction. I was taked back to surgery on the 22nd and this time it was 6 hours long and had to be done open. I was in the ICU for 3 days and was in the hospital for a total of 16 days in Ohio. I live in Illinois. After I came home I was here for 2 days and back in the hospital with a fever,blood clot in my arm and my incision opened up and was draining.
I spent another 8 days in the hospital here. My incision drained for 2.5 months and finally closed. I guess the moral of my story is, when having a revision done always be prepared for anything to happen. I am not trying to scare you by no means. I just want you to do your homework and have a surgeon that is well versed in revision procedures. By the way... I wound up with a RNY but I have a sleeve not a pouch. Dr. said my stomach is the size of a mans thumb. I have now lost 81 lbs since the middle of May. Best of luck to you and keep us informed of your progress.
Nancy

runnergirl
on 10/20/08 2:37 am - Canada
 Holy Doodles!!!! Nancy that is so horrible!!!! I was lucky, I had heard about complications like that and I was scared and nervous. Kerry from here went for a revision and was in surgery for I think 81/2 hours and then had to go back in for more surgery a few days later. I was terrified, My procedure was done in two hours and I have been lucky. I have only had a yeast infection,(ewww) lol lol Has it been better going for you? What was post op like for the first 6 months? 
Thanks,
Heather
Nancy K.
on 10/20/08 2:48 am - Joliet, IL
HI,
So glad to hear that you are doing so well.
I will post what you asked me on my profile so as not to hijack kweb4's post.

isaiah54mom
on 10/21/08 8:01 am - bartlesville, OK
hi Kathy, I also had a gastroplasty done 20 yearsago. I now weigh 352 lbs. I am one step away from getting my date for a revision. I am getting the DS and it will be an open procedure. I have a huge hernia that is preventing it from being done by lap. I am so excited. I know there are risks but nothing can stop me now. I hate the way I look and feel. I have so many co morbidities and my health is declining. I do not want to die at 352 +. I had my psychological done monday and all I need is my c pap machine ( I already had the sleep study) and my Dr. will give me a date. I think it is going to be in December. What an awesome Christmas present to me. I finally reached a point in life where I realize my value as a person and I want to live!!! Best of luck to you. I am going to add u as a friend if thats OK  I will keep you informed of what going on with me
JO
Most Active