When can you be considered for revision?

mew6495
on 10/22/08 3:29 am - MI
 Don't think your butting in at all!  This is what the board is for.  I had a revision on Oct. 3.  My original RNY was in 2001.  Like you, I was not given much advise or follow up.  I received some, sounds like a bit more then you but surely not enough.

My pouch and stoma stretched and I had gained some weight.  I chose to have the ERNY revision.  This is where they shorten the common channel of the intestinal portion of the RNY which lends itself to greater malabsorption for the long term success.

Welcome aboard and I wish you much success with your revision.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can help you with.
My_Time
on 10/22/08 10:55 am - Bangor, ME
I just read you have just had your revision.  Congratulations.  I am in hopes to have my surgery in about a month.  No one day scheduled yet but Jen indicated should be about a month.  How are you doing?  How much weight have you lost?  Have you had any side effects?
Sorry about all the questions but I'd also like to know how long you were in the hospital and when were you able to go back to work?
I will be traveling to Az to have mine done and need to take the time from work but I am hoping it will be just a week out of work.  Is that reasonable?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Carolyn
mew6495
on 10/22/08 11:19 am - MI
 Hello My_Time,

Good Choice with Dr. S. He is truly AWESOME.  I am sure you will have a date soon.  I am doing pretty good.  So far I have lost about 11 pounds.  I have so far only run into one issue.  I developed a small infection in part of my incision which is healing good and doing much better.  I am also having a bit of an issue with gas that I am trying to get under control but other then that its been good.

I was in the hospital for one night and in the AZ area for about 11 days total.  Your follow up visit is typically between 7 and 10 days after surgery.  I can return to work anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, this depends on how you are doing and what your job duties entail.  I think there have been some who have went back after 3 weeks.  You will need to discuss your cir****tances with Dr. S.

One week for travel, surgery and everything?  Are you flying home?  You may have to stay in the area a bit longer.  Dr. S does his procedures open so the one week seems a bit to short of a time to recoup and heal up.  I think I did pretty well with the healing process and I don't think I would have been good to go back to work after only one week.  Maybe I should ask what type of revision are you getting?  If you are not doing the ERNY or an invasive surgery then I suppose it would be possible.

Good luck to you.  Let me know if you have any further questions.
My_Time
on 10/22/08 8:16 pm - Bangor, ME
Thank you for all the information, all of my friends here have been so helpful.  I had no idea the recoup time would be so long.  When I had open RnY it was only 3 days in hospital and I was up and about in about a week.  Not sure how my company will take this.  I have insurance of course but no vacation time left.  
Anyway, thanks again.
Carolyn 
Laurie L.
on 10/17/08 11:03 pm - Upper Peninsula, MI
Mew,  what is the ERNY?  I have not heard of that.  I'm in need of either a stomaphyX or something else.  I have gained a lot of my weight back and I'm so frustrated. 
ginau
on 10/18/08 12:37 am - mesa, AZ
Erny - is extended  rny - generaly a common channel of 100 cm or less .  thsi creates more malabsorbtion, greater weight loss and better chance of keeping it off.  Problem is that unless you get carbs in control - you can and will gain back weight. 

stomaphyx is have mixxed results,   a lot of  dr's are offering a band over the pouch - but that seems like a lot of issue's there.   I opted for ERNY and very pleased so far - but  I am also a slow looser .. But hey some weight loss is better than none.

You can help get yourself back on track by doing the 5 day pouch test  ( just google it )  it helps ! and then try to stick to low carb lifestyle.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Laurie L.
on 10/18/08 1:07 am - Upper Peninsula, MI
Thanks so much for your reply.  It helped a lot.  I have to do a lot of research and figure out what is best for me.
mew6495
on 10/18/08 9:50 am - MI
 Hey Jeanna,

How are you doing?  Haven't seen you on in a while.  Has work finally slowed down for you?  I hope all is well.  

P.S. as usual.....your feedback is awesome!
ginau
on 10/22/08 11:53 am - mesa, AZ
Hey  Sweet Pea

I am so bumbed I missed you, I got to see Carolyn - She should be on her way home soon,  She sounds great.   But you sound like your doing fantastic !!! 11 lbs already !

Work is just getting more and more ugly - the credit crisis is going to get worse  and worse - Thinking some Zanax  will help me  deal with nasty  people ,,

I have my 6 Monthcheck up soon !  how time has flown by ,, Dr S is busy , busy, busy !

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Shelia N.
on 10/19/08 12:30 pm - Elkins, AR
Can you send me information about Dr. S?  I googled him, but found Scott M Schesinger in Little Rock ..a neurosurgen...don't think it is the same one.

How much did your revision cost?
Most Active