Why did your RNY fail?

IvaQ
on 10/16/08 3:26 am
I'm a RNYer and this operation didn't give the results that we thought it would.

Both my doctor and I are disappointed with the results and I have been told to look into a revision.

Could you share with me why your RNY failed or didn't work for you.

Thanks!
redprincess1973
on 10/16/08 5:14 am - Orange Park, FL
IvaQ
on 10/16/08 6:05 am
With all do respect....RNY does NOT work for everyone.

This is not according to me...but according to professional doctors that expertise is in this field.

I agree that one must "work" at it...must follow the rules...but with that being said...I DO follow the new way of life and results are not impressive to me or the professionals that treat me.

I assume that you are trying to be helpful..but when you make a blanket statement that says ALL OF US - ALL OF US have an addiction to food or love the stuff is totally incorrect and quite frankly a ignorant statement.

My obesity came from being bed ridden from an accident.   Little to no movement for years.

I'm not the failure..the surgery was not the correct one for my body-metabolism..that according to those who have a medical degree.

Now..the question was for those whom it failed.   Why?  Was it stretching of pouch...not enough intestines taken...complications...what kind of complications...what was it medically?

I put forth this question in the revision section for a reason...obviously people have had an issue with the original surgery...my question is what happened.

I don't know if you had a revision or not...I don't know you...but I do know that when someone is asking for an answer...pointing the finger at them and insinuating that they are the cause is not a helpful reply.

pokerchips
on 10/16/08 11:50 am
Bravo!  Your statement is correct....Very few things work for EVERYONE!  The failure may be from multiple causes but there is also such a thing as mechanical failure and the wrong surgery for a persons metabolosm.  We are all unique beings.
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 4:33 pm - AZ
On October 16, 2008 at 1:05 PM Pacific Time, IvaQ wrote:
With all do respect....RNY does NOT work for everyone.

This is not according to me...but according to professional doctors that expertise is in this field.

I agree that one must "work" at it...must follow the rules...but with that being said...I DO follow the new way of life and results are not impressive to me or the professionals that treat me.

I assume that you are trying to be helpful..but when you make a blanket statement that says ALL OF US - ALL OF US have an addiction to food or love the stuff is totally incorrect and quite frankly a ignorant statement.

My obesity came from being bed ridden from an accident.   Little to no movement for years.

I'm not the failure..the surgery was not the correct one for my body-metabolism..that according to those who have a medical degree.

Now..the question was for those whom it failed.   Why?  Was it stretching of pouch...not enough intestines taken...complications...what kind of complications...what was it medically?

I put forth this question in the revision section for a reason...obviously people have had an issue with the original surgery...my question is what happened.

I don't know if you had a revision or not...I don't know you...but I do know that when someone is asking for an answer...pointing the finger at them and insinuating that they are the cause is not a helpful reply.

Hear hear!

Educate the MISINFORMED!

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 4:32 pm - AZ
On October 16, 2008 at 12:14 PM Pacific Time, redprincess1973 wrote:
I would say that RNY works for everyone - it is how do YOU make it work.  I mean - let's be honest.  All of us - ALL OF US have either an addiction to food or a love of the stuff.  Having the surgery doesn't make a person stop eating.  It curtails the bad habits that we have had in the past.  Me, specifically, am a total lover of sweets!  So having the surgery made me dump when I eat the wrong things - so that is a good thing for me. For someone else, however, they might not dump.  It just depends.  As well - how did your surgeon prepare you for the future ahead?  Did you have to loose weight prior to surgery which made you change your eating habits?  Did you have to exercise prior to surgery?  Were you aware of the ramifications of not doing that stuff?

All of these things play a part in the sugery being deemed a "failure", yet in reality - IT isn't a failure - the person is probably the one to blame.

Now - if you want to look at the mechanical issues of RNY - there are statistical analysis out there that speak of the issues that CAN happen.  These can be blockage, stretching of the pouch, fistula, etc.  These things can not be controlled by the person, rather are a possible complication of the surgery which you should be aware of PRIOR to having the surgery.

All in all - WE are responsible for making it work for us.
That is soooo wrong!

Not everyone who fails with bypass is at fault.  Sometimes not enough intestine was bypassed.  KUDOs to you for having enough intestine bypassed that you lost weight.  But you are NOT the poster child for RNY!

I am not even an RNY patient and you make ME angry for your post!

I have a restrictive procedure, you have a malabsorptive and restrictive procedure.  If you had merely restrictive only and failed, should I say YOU are a failure?

Your post is soooo off base in sooooo many ways, where do I start?

mew6495
on 10/16/08 7:07 am - MI
 Hello IvaQ,

I had RNY in 2001.  I just had a revision to ERNY on Oct. 3rd.

I feel my RNY failed for a couple of different reasons, some due to the mechanics of the RNY and some due to my own actions.

My pouch and stoma stretched hindering the restriction portion.  The surgeon did not bypass enough intestine to allow for more malabsorption.  These are the mechanics of it.  I was not told up front about how important after care follow up was and how much it was needed.  Back then, I am not sure enough was known or it was I just was not informed

On my part, at first, I had a real tough time with eating protein based foods.  I would end up vomiting more often then not.  So instead of not eating at all I turned to carbs as a source of nourishment because they went down easier.  But I was never warned about the effect this would have.  And that is a shame on me for not investigating further.  Don't get me wrong, I did tons of investigation on the actual RNY procedure, much of it on this site, but for whatever reason, I did not pick up on the carb thing.  This was my failure.  I also started drinking with meals.  So I was not compliant with the RNY rules due to several factors.  

I believe what most individuals forget about, or become complacent about with wls after time goes by is that  wls is a tool and we tend to forget that.  True there are mechanical reasons for failure and I am a strong believer that there is no one size fits all when it comes to WLS.  There are those who will swear that the wls they have chosen is the one and only and there is no other.  To me this is narrow minded.  But each of us was blessed with the right to our own opinion.  
stiles1966
on 10/16/08 7:32 am - MAGNOLIA, DE
MEW6495
I am new to this site and i came across your post . As i read this it was if you were writing about me.  I failed with my gastric bypass surgery for the same reasons you stated.  I am so depressed and embarressed.  I am steady gaining what weight i did lose back .  What  exactly is a revision ? Is there a way to shrink my pouch again ?  I just would like to know if there is a second chance out there. please help ....Desperate in DE
mew6495
on 10/17/08 6:45 am - MI
 Hello stiles1966,

First don't be embarrassed!  You had the courage to try and do something that would give you a more healthy life.  It was not your fault that it may not have worked as you intended!  I understand the depression because I felt exactly the same way and then I decided to understand my situation for what it was and move on.  

There are several types of revisions.  If you are looking only to get back more restriction then there are several options, stomaphyx, rose, schelatherapy (sp), VSB.  But please do your research.  The reports coming back from many on this site is that the stomaphyx and rose procedure do not work well for most patients.  Some doctors will not put the vsb over an RNY pouch.  There are also more malabsorption procedures like the DS and the ERNY.  The DS is a whole new procedure that will take down your pouch and resection it to the DS sleeve and then reroute your intestine to make a shorter common channel.  There seems to be a greater long term success with this procedure.  The ERNY takes the intestine portion of the RNY and gives you the shorter common channel, much like the DS version.   This is for the long term effects as well.  I chose to go with the ERNY because of the increased risk with revisions and I did not want my pouch messed with.  If I would have had more then100 lbs to loose then I may have made the decision for the DS.  

The ticket is finding the procedure that best suits you and your lifestyle.  Finding a good revision doctor is also important.  If you would like more info please pm me and I would be glad to answer.
Doesn't Matter
on 10/17/08 8:59 am - Indianapolis, IN
Revision on 02/29/12
This sounds like my story too!  I have gained back all of my weight since rny in 2001.  I started eating carbs....you know, chips ALWAYS went down good, without making me sick.
Most Active