Wahhhhhhhh!!!!

tysweetpea
on 10/15/08 8:39 am - NEWMAN, CA
I went to my surgeon today to discuss with her of changes that have been happening, her concerns and questions about a revision.  I feel like she just brushed me off. She is have me do some blood work, and upper GI and go to a dietician.  I wonder if I did or said something wrong. OMG...after talking with her I feel like a failure at this.

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

mew6495
on 10/15/08 9:30 am - MI
 Man that's rough!  Especially when you are ready to move forward!  I would suggest getting the testing done and see what the results are and then approach her again.  If the Upper GI shows a stretched pouch or some other failure then it gives you better ground to stand on with both her and insurance.  I would also request that they do an EDG to determine what kind of shape your stoma is in.  Then if you believe that she is still not taking you serious then I would consider researching another doctor who will.  I had the same problem when I started researching a revision.  Most doctors did not even want to see me unless I had a bmi over 40, which I did not.  I ended up traveling to get my revision to a wonderful doctor who treats the individual patient not the BMI number or according to his own beliefs, but rather what you are looking for and need for your personal cir****tances.  His name is Dr. Schlesinger in AZ.    

Good Luck to you.  Let us know how you make out.
tysweetpea
on 10/16/08 9:04 am - NEWMAN, CA
Thanks Mew!  I will keep trying... So if the pouch is stretched, they may consider the revision?  what is an EDG? Is the Stoma the connection to the pouch? I dont think she likes to do revisions. But she is an excellent surgeon!  I have a BMI over 40 and new ailments (fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis...)  My mother in law lives in AZ...that would be great.

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

mew6495
on 10/16/08 9:34 am - MI
 Sometimes it will take a stretched pouch with other failures.  Depends on the doctor and how "creative" they are.  An EDG is an upper endoscopy.  It can tell what is going on with the stoma (stretched, how large etc).  Yes, the stoma is the connection to the pouch from the intestine.    

When I was talking to Dr. S about my troubles with finding a surgeon in MI he mentioned that a lot of surgeons did not like to do the revisions because of the greater follow up and after care that was required.  If your surgeon doesn't work out and you have the means in AZ I would highly recommend Dr. Schlesinger.  He performs many types of revisions and taylors them to your personal needs.  His office will also do everything within their power to get your insurance approval.  
cuppyb
on 10/17/08 10:11 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
My doctor required that I went through and endoscopy, psych eval, and nutritional visits all over again before being booked for the revision.  Plus another note from the primary care saying I was in good health and recommended for surgery.   Maybe its just them making sure everything is in good order and giving us time to consider the procedure longer or maybe it helps them more with insurance approval.   

Either way, the doctor should be listening to your concerns and not brushing you off.  I'm very fortunate with Dr. Pohl, he is wonderful and never makes you feel rushed or that your bothering him.  He takes time with each person and answers not only your questions and concerns but your family's questions as well.  

I wish you the best and hope you get an approval soon. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Most Active