Recovery Time

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 10/15/08 6:32 am - Miami, FL
From Band to RNY, how much time did you take off from work? I was wondering if a total of 5-7 days is sufficient, with the band I was fine after the first day - just felt like I had been doing crunches / sit-ups. 
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

DMS923
on 10/15/08 6:37 am - NY
I am having revision from lap to rny on Nov 5.  I was told that I would be in hospital for 4 days (surgery on a wed and out on sat).  I will then be home for a week....so for me its 8 working days....I hope that is enough as I dont want to take any more days off as I need to save them for post op stuff.....and definitely go for it!
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
mew6495
on 10/15/08 6:51 am - MI
 Are you having lap or open?  If you are open you will typically need 4 to 6 weeks.  Lap is about 2  to 3 weeks depending on what your job entails, your doctor and of course how you are healing.
ShayZ
on 10/16/08 2:40 am - Somewhere, TX
Hey Mew, what were the requirements for Dr. S? How long did you stay in the hospital...in Phoenix...off work etc?
mew6495
on 10/16/08 2:56 am - MI
 Dr. S. does open procedures.  He basis your return to work on your job duties.  For myself I can probably go back to work in 4 weeks, maybe even 3 if I want,  but can have as much as 6 if I feel I need them.  I do know he has let some of his patients go back after 3 weeks.  If your job does not entail any lifting or strenuous activity then you can go back sooner.  He will write 6 on your release papers and then once I get closer to that 4 week mark and I feel I am ready for work I can call him and he will release me.  He is totally about taking the need of his patients into consideration, of course unless he feels it will adversely effect their health.

I was only in the hospital for 1 night and was released about 4:00 pm the following afternoon.  Again he asked if I felt I was ok with this or if I felt like I needed another day.  I was absolutely fine with just the one night.  You do have to be up and walking some before you can be released.
Most Active