Emergency RNY Reversal - RNY again??

shoegal189
on 10/13/08 7:48 am - Hilliard, OH

After four and a half years with a successful RNY bypass, I had to go in for emergency surgery to have it reversed.  My new stomach and part of my large intestine had gotten twisted and died.  I was within hours of dying.  I was in the hospital for seven days, but I did get better.  I dropped down pretty low from what I was, but once I got out, the weight poured on.  That was three months ago and I have put on over 20 pounds since then.  Getting my old stomach back has been odd since I don't have satiety anymore and I can eat so much more.  I'm sure anyone can imagine the difficulty of going from eating regular post-RNY size meals to eating a full meal and still not feeling full.  Plus, the gaining of weight even after working out an hour each weekday and watching what I eat has been so depressing.

Has anyone else gone through this?  I go to a seminar tomorrow for a weight loss surgeon in Columbus (OH) to do this whole process all over again.  I want a RNY again or LapBand, but from what I read, the band isn't so great.  I just want what I had before.  It was so successful and I feel like I am becoming that old person that I disliked so much.  I'm scared of being 300 pounds again.  Never ever ever again...

Rhonda13
on 10/13/08 9:30 am
Wow God be with you sister :)
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 4:35 am - TX
Have you looked into the DS?  My surgeon, Dr. Husted, has numerous pages explaining about revision surgeries.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/gastric-bypass-re vision-surgery.html

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds

If you look at who is posting on the revision boards, needing help, you'll see many RNY or band patients.  Others, like me, only post to share the knowledge of the DS.

Good luck.  You're not alone.
ShayZ
on 10/14/08 7:09 am - Somewhere, TX
Can you have a DS without a large intestines?  I am just asking out of curiosity.
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 7:30 am - TX
I am not a medical person, so you would have to ask a DS revision surgeon that question,  Like Dr. husted.  But I do know all the cuts and reconnections are done on the stomach and the small intestine.

I didn't understand that the OP said she had no large intestine.  Some of it was removed is what I thought she said.
shoegal189
on 10/14/08 7:47 am - Hilliard, OH
I think I might still have some large intestine left, but I'm not sure.  The whole ordeal was fast and scary.  What is crazy is that when I went in to the ER with the severe abdominal pain, they sent me home with only giving me a GI ****tail and the lidocaine numbed me for all of ten minutes.  I had to go back later that night and when they did a CT scan is when they saw that the dye had gone nowhere.  I went in for emergency surgery right away and woke up not really knowing too much of went on.  My husband, God love him, is a typical man in that he couldn't relate what all happened to me accurately.  Let's pray that tonight the surgeon tells me what my options are.  I'm scared.
ShayZ
on 10/14/08 10:37 am - Somewhere, TX
Good luck, you will find the answer you need to with some patience, introspection and research.  Which surgeon are you seeing in CMH.  I used to live there (10 years) and had my primary surgery done there.
shoegal189
on 10/16/08 2:03 am - Hilliard, OH
I was referred to Dr. Needleman.  It was going to be either him or Dr. Myers.  A woman I work with used Dr. Myers, but I just happened to call Needleman's office first.

So, after the informational seminar Tuesday, I approached Dr. Needleman and explained my situation.  He said I needed to see him right away.  I called the next day and I got the first available appointment - November 18th.  Wish me luck!  I have over a month to wait, but at least it's a step towards getting this revision done.  I'm also really, really, really watching what I am eating.  I don't have the feeling of fullness, but I can't help that right now.

Also, one quick question for anyone - is there a post-op support group in Columbus?
ShayZ
on 10/16/08 3:12 am - Somewhere, TX
I know there used to be one on Thursday evenings at Mount Carmel hospital but try posting on the Ohio message board because my information is about 6 years old and I wasn't into the support groups that much.  I only went when I was told which may be one of my problems....
cuppyb
on 10/17/08 10:21 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
good luck with everything.  That's really scary what you went through.

Your the fourth person this week I have either heard about or read about that went to the ER with abdominal pain and they dismissed it, ended back in the hospital and in emergency surgery.  I get so aggravated with ER doctors who don't listen to us, especially when we say we are WLS patients and think it could be that.   While the ER doctor's are great for treating certain emergencies many just don't understand the WLS procedures.  

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Most Active