Has anyone had Stomaphyx done?

redzz04
on 10/13/08 3:23 am
I just read about Stomaphyx where they staple the sides of your esophogas to help slow the food from emptying from your stomach and loose the rest of your weight after your roux-rny. Has anyone had it done? I cannot get off this last 80 pound, and gained 30 (part of the 80) I'm just stuck and freaked out.

"Never act until you have answered the question 'What happens if I do nothing?'" - Robert Brault
"Love is borne from soul to soul on the wings of words." - Rudolph Steiner  
 Elizabeth M 

Shelia N.
on 10/13/08 3:43 am - Elkins, AR
I had it done by Dr. Raja in San Antonio, Texas in August of 2007.  There was NO restriction - there was NO change at all.  I spent $6000 for a procedure that had no effect whatsoever.  I am extremely dissappointed in the Dr. and in the procedure.
Zee Starrlite
on 10/13/08 6:59 am

From what everyone says, this is NOT a successful procedure but rather a disappointment-  The ROSE is not a successful procedure neither. 
Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Ruth S.
on 10/13/08 9:28 am - Orlando, FL
As you have seen by the postings...the stomaphyx fixes the size of the pouch however if the stoma is large food will continue to past quickly through. You will need to do an Upper GI (endoscopy) and check out the size of the stoma. If it enlarged and there is the availability of the schlerotherapy then they should do that to close the stoma. The schleroing agent creates scar tissue to close the stoma.  I originally wanted the stomaphyx but the dr explained the above and believe me..NOW I know he is RIGHT!!!  I had the schlerotherapy, which is done endoscopically. There is discomfort for 2.5 days - of soreness then you're fine.  With the stoma smaller you will be able to keep food in the stomach longer and though stay fuller for longer.  I have also noticed that I don't have/had the usual cravings for soda nor sweets during my cycle which is a crazy time period. I have been able to thus eat my 3 principal meals and be very satisfied with that.  Im thinking of doing a 2nd dose to tighten it a bit more if I get the chance but hopefully this should do the trick.. I just have to step it up on exercise and should start losing again soon.
Ruth S.
PAMELA G.
on 10/17/08 4:06 am - ATHENS, GA
WHAT SORT OF COST DID THE PROCEDURE RUN INTO FOR YOU?
Ruth S.
on 10/17/08 2:35 pm - Orlando, FL
Hi...based on my insurance the 1st endoscopy was $250 and the schlerotherapy which is also an endoscopy another $250. Should I have a 3rd or 2nd dose of the schlerotherapy or stomaphyx..I should hope $250 but then if i get the stomaphyx..I dont know if it might be more. But all well worth it.
Ruth S.
Lisa N.
on 10/13/08 1:24 pm - Williston Park, NY
I just had the stomaphyx on 9/18/08. My surgeon  Dr. I. Michael Leitman put 36 fasteners in.  He explained to me to me he starts at the stoma and he makes that smaller. Then he works his up to the stomach and he makes that smaller.  I have lost 21 pounds so far.  I was on clear liquids the first week and now I am on pureed foods.  At this point I can only eat 1 oz of food and I have restriction with liquids and soft food.  This procedure was covered by insurance and it is working.
pepsi98
on 10/13/08 8:43 pm - Norwich, CT
I was not so lucky...I had stomaphyx in 2/08, lost 17 lbs due to post op diet and had NO RESTRICTION !!! I also paid $10,500 out of pocket (still paying) since insurance didn't cover an experimental procedure.  I just got approved for a band placed over my old gastric stapling.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Lisa N.
on 10/13/08 9:03 pm - Williston Park, NY
Pepsi,  what kind of foods did your dr have you on? The only reason why I had it approved, was that originally, my insurance company wanted me to jump through the same thoops that I jumped through five years ago(6 month diet history, nutritional consult, and psych eval.)  My surgeon's office manager found out through another manager  that their office was getting approved through my insurance and was not making them jump through that they wanted me too. I consider myself very lucky. I am concerned b/c I have read that once I go back on heavier solid foods, I will gain the weigh back.  I take each day as comes.  All I can do, is hope for the best .
pepsi98
on 10/14/08 10:08 am - Norwich, CT
My diet was a progression...clear liquids, full liquids, soft then solid foods.  At this point I am very glad that the insurance company did not cover (so I was told) because I might have had MUCH more difficulty in getting my lap band approved.  I also did the Behavioral Change classes, dietician etc etc.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active