considering revision from lap-band to rny

Donzelle
on 10/13/08 6:19 am - TX
What made you decide DS?
neacres100
on 10/12/08 11:25 am - NJ

I know exactly how you are feeling.  The questioning of failure, the embarassment.  It's such a struggle.  I am going through the same struggles and will be talking to my MD about RNY.  My lapband is no longer working for me.  I want it removed and to go for the RNY.  To me and my mind, this will be drastic surgery.  I've tried weight loss drugs, weight loss diet plans, lap band, and now contimplating RNY.    Why ME?  Why am I not normal, like everyother skinny person?  But, I'm hoping that the RNY will be final frontier.

Good luck with everything you chose to do.  I wish you the very best!

Donna

GregNE
on 10/12/08 3:07 pm - Omaha, NE

I have a Lap-Band that was put in about 2 years ago.  I have lost some weight, and have some restriction, but I did not reach anywhere near my goals  Tomorrow (monday) I am having a revision to the DS.  I researched both RNY and DS, and not wanting another future revision, went with the DS.

Either procedure, however, gives you a much better chance than  the band from what I have learned, so yes, either bypass procedure can let you succeed.

vgrimli
on 10/13/08 2:40 am - Browns Valley, MN
I was banded 10-4-05 and now have scheduled a revision RNY for 10-15-08.   Talk to your doctor, listen and research your options before making a decision that is right for YOU.  good luck

tnwalkersu
on 10/13/08 3:24 pm - Somerville, TN
For me I felt that the ds would give me the best of both worlds. The malabsorbtion of having the intestines rerouted and the stomach as a sleeve instead of a small pouch which means I can eat more regular food.  I don't want to have to eat like I did with my band and that tiny pouch that gave the reflux and only being able to eat tiny bites.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Donzelle
on 10/14/08 12:44 am - TX
Thanks
DMS923
on 10/14/08 2:35 am - NY
I was banded not once but TWICE.  I started in 04 at 205 lbs - got down but the puking starting daily and constantly.  Band had slipped, received new band in 06 at 175 lbs (15 lbs up from my lowest with Band #1).  Had a good 6 months to only start the same thing, puking constantly. I am so DONE with this band that I wish I can remove it myself. I developed severe reflux and GERD and the puking became battery acid coming up.  Had an emergency unfill - well that was 2 months ago that I am totally unfilled and can now say hello to the weight that I put on - back to 185....before you know it I will be back to 205....So I am all scheduled for my revision to RNY on November 5.  Taking out this band and revising me to RNY.  Doctor says I should get down to 125 with no problems, I was 6 years old and weighted 125 - I cant wait....He did ask if I wanted yet a third band and I looked at him like he had a third head...

205/159/175/185
Donna
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
Donzelle
on 10/14/08 4:25 am - TX
I so do not blame you for not wanting another band.  I wish you the best!!
charleston-mom
on 10/15/08 12:22 am
I had a revision from the band to a RNY in August 2007 (a year ago). It was the best thing I ever did. I'm right at goal and still losing and feel SO much healthier. Either the RNY or DS is lightyears better than lapband. You can't go wrong with either. I love my RNY.
Most Active