considering revision from lap-band to rny

Donzelle
on 10/11/08 2:13 pm, edited 10/11/08 2:57 pm - TX
Well I didn't think I'd be here again. Feeling embarassed to go out into public.  Noticing the suprise in my friends and familys faces when they see my weight gain.   I had the lap-band in 2001.  I soared  right through.  I am healthy and exercise.  I am religous with cardio 45 min. a day 5 times a week. I lost more than my doc expected.  Pre-op weight was 240lbs.   Lowest weight 138.   I maintained 142 lbs. for 4 yrs. and struggled the last 3yrs. to maintain 145- 160.    I suffered with GERD so doc let out my saline.  I figured I could live with being 150.  By the way , I'm 5'2 and 191 lbs.  That is painful to admit. I've gained 20 lbs in 3 months!!!  I am devastated.  I worked so hard for the past 7 years. Last week I was hurting really bad so I went to the doc.  My tubing is diconnected  from my band.  He doesn't think this has anything to do with my weight gain.  I asked for more saline.  He said no, I'm too tight. He said he could do the repair tomorrow.  But he is worried in 2 more months I'll be 210 pounds.  He suggested going in once and doing  a revision to rny.  I'm scared.   Will I fail again?  Has anyone had this revision and done well?  

P.S.

I read on this website that people *****vise from lap band to rny  won't lose much and are at more risk for leaks.  That's scarey.

Donzelle
MARCIAM
on 10/11/08 3:08 pm - Sayville, NY
I recently had a revision from lapband to RNY.  I am thrilled!  I am quickly losing the weight that I regained with my empty band. Check out my profile if you want to see my story...
Getting my RNY was the best think I have ever done!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

cuppyb
on 10/11/08 3:12 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I was banded in 2006, on Oct 28th my band will be removed and I will have RNY.  

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

LoriAS
on 10/11/08 4:39 pm - CA
 I am curious why you would choose the RNY over the VSG or the D/S?

Lori
Donzelle
on 10/11/08 11:36 pm - TX
Good morning!

My doc only mentioned rny and gastric sleeve.  He spent most time talking to me about rny.  Is gastric sleeve same as vsg?

Thanks
KRWaters
on 10/11/08 5:01 pm - Manteca, CA
I am going for a revision from a Rny to a DS. RnY does not work for many people. I do know a few who have done great with it and then I know several who have regained. I have read and been told that with the DS, less chance of gain, though it is possible. I read the stats that with the DS it is easier tto keep the weight off and it stays off pretty much, and many (I am not saying everyone) do not even have to exercise, just keep the carbs low and you will lose. For a DSer, FAT is our friend cause eating fattening foods like butter, mayo, sour cream, any kind of fat, helps you lose weight. You see you malabsorb 80% of fat with the DS. It may make for more gas, but that is something you will have to figure out. For some, it can lead to stomalch gurgling and naughty stomach, but for many, eat fattening food and you will drop a few pounds within the next couple of days. If I were you , you owe it to yourself to at least check out the DS before you make your final decision for the RnY. Good luck in whatever you decide.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/08 8:19 pm - TX
If you've found this revision board (and there are more on OH,(failed WLS second time around), I encourage you to read more as to who is posting.  There are many, many lapband and RNY patients that regain, if not all, most of the pre-op weight.  Which is why I chose the DS for my revision.  You don't see DS patients posting that they've regained a significant amount of weight.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
cuppyb
on 10/11/08 11:37 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I was originally consiering the sleeve but after meeting with my doctor and discussing my own health issues we decided RNY would be best for me.  I am using the same surgeon and trust his opinion.

Just like the first time around, I think everyone has to chose which surgery is best for them.   I just wish everyone the best and hope we all make it to goal. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

LoriAS
on 10/12/08 3:19 am, edited 10/12/08 3:24 am - CA
 Naturally it is VERY important that we trust our surgeons.
I just want to make sure that you all know ALL of your options as "some" Doctors  don't do all of the available surgeries so they only tell their revision patients about the surgeries that they do never mentioning the alternatives.

Let me also tell you that I work for Dr. Husted, who is now in Kentucky, and  I talk to all of our revision patients and it breaks my heart when they tell me ...if only I had known about ......whatever surgery they now want.

Every surgery works and doesn't work for different people. 

I really brought up the question because I would think about 80-90 percent of our revision patients are revisions from the RNY to the Duodenal Switch so I want to better understand why someone would have a revision to an RNY.
Our patients are usually 4 or 5 years out from successful RNYs and then all of a sudden they start to gain weight.

Lori

John Husted, M.D.
154 Bogle Office Park Drive, Suite B
Somerset, KY  42503
www.johnhustedmd.com
lori at Johnhustedmd.com
1-877-JHUSTED
(1-877-548-7833)

tnwalkersu
on 10/12/08 10:08 am - Somerville, TN
Donzelle,  I know just how you feel.  I have a band that has failed and am going to have DS with Dr. Husted if the insurance doesn't give me a hard time!  If I had know about the DS first I would have never had the band.  With all of the commercials I thought that it was the only thing out there besides the old gastric bypass like my sister had and which has only given her nightmares.  If only I had known more.  And it's true about doctors only recommending the surgeries that they do, not what's available.  Please do more research before you make your final decision.  Even if you have to change doctors like I have to, do the surgery that you want, not what they want you to do so they can keep you as a patient.  Remember that doctors are in business like anyone else.  They want to keep your business.  We want to believe in our doctors and that  they ware doing what is best for us.  With most surgeons that's true.  But this is elective surgery.  They want your business.  I have a doctor that I really like but he wanted me to have the band replaced.  He didn't even like it when I brought up the subject of DS.  That's because he doesn't do it.  Read about everything and then read some more.   It will only make you more informed about what is out there.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Most Active