dumping/bulimia?? Thoughts??

Tamara B.
on 10/11/08 1:32 am - southwest, MO
  Hi everyone, I'm 4.5 yrs post gastric bypass and have an interest in researching this issue. I'm back in college(getting a BS in Psych and hoping to go to Grad school in Spring2010) and I'm actually writing a paper about the issue/possiblity of bulimia after WLS. Does anyone on this board have any thoughts on the subject? 
FYI..I recently made my profile only visible to my friends, simply because I may not want all my peers and professors to be in on my entire journey at thsi point, but not to hide from any of you, so if you have an interest in seeing it just let me know. 

My thoughts on bulimia are that I feel several people I've had contact with may have it or something similar, post WLS. They are binging and purging, knowing they will purge simply because their puch won't hold the food. Maybe that's not true bulimia, maybe it's a new eating disorder??? Just sharing some thoughts here as I get ready to write my paper. I've found 2 articles on the issue, one written in 2006 and another in 2003. One of them was done in Mexico though. So it's clear there is a NEED for this subject to be looked into and I think this site certainly would be a good place to start. I think WE are the experts....we ARE the ones living with this......I'm always shocked at some of the doctors and psych professionals opinions on what we KNOW. I hope WE can teach them a few things.

If anyone has an interest in this issue or even a personal experience to share, please comment or send me a private message. I'll keep it confidential. 
Tami
openRNY 4/04
251/145
Ruth A.
on 10/11/08 4:06 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
This is just my opinion, so please take accordingly.  My thoughts are that I do think there are people who suffer from eating disorders after wls.  However, I can't see how they would have true bullimia, as I can't see that they would have the ability to binge anymore?

Just my two penneth worth....I'll be interested to read other posts on this

Tamara B.
on 10/12/08 11:59 am - southwest, MO
 Oh the binging can certainly happen and it does. That uncomfortable feeling then hits hard and fast when they do it and like the next person says, it's off to the toilet to get rid of it.

I've posted this on several borads and have gotten alot of ffedback in many directions. When I have a chance I will reply to all and maybe talk to some who've actually had to deal with what tehy do consider to be a form of bulimia after their WLS.
Thanks for your repsonses!!!

Tami
openRNY 4/04
251/145
Ruth A.
on 10/12/08 10:03 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi Tamara

thanks for your response with the info.  I'd be very interested in reading your research when you have it completed if possible.

Ruth

JRinAZ
on 10/11/08 4:40 pm - Layton, UT
Great topic for research Tami!

My .02 is that there are many amongst us who have a form of bulimia.  My DH had WLS almost 5 years ago and still maintains a very small pouch.  He pushes past the comfortable point almost every evening and we all listen to him barfing back in the bathroom.  .....  Always worried about the damage to his lungs, throat, mind!  ..............And.....I have had a round of "purging" at the gym.....For the first 2 to 3 years following my WLS....I would spend hours at the gym.... I counted the calories and then tried to zero them out at the gym!

I personally feel that we are a population with serious eating disorders that do NOT go away just because we are knocked out for a couple of hours (having surgery)!

Good luck on your paper!  I'd love to read it when you are finished!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ruth A.
on 10/11/08 6:32 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thanks for sharing re your family experience.   Also, good point re alternative purging........

Shelia N.
on 10/13/08 3:54 am - Elkins, AR
I have what I consider bulimia...binge/purge episodes.  I never had this before WLS, but after having my daughter and gaining considerable amount of weight I do have this now.  I am trying to get it under control, but am not being successful.  I have regained 50 pounds and am terrified.  I desperately want to lose this weight and cannot.  I would love to have a revision, but insurance will not pay for it and I cannot afford it.  Doubt that at 50 pounds over-weight I would be able to have one anyway.

do the good work and see if there is a "cure" for this....
laureng410
on 10/14/08 2:23 pm - Flower Mound, TX

I can completely relate. I actually ended up in rehab (Sierra Tucson) for eating disorders: binge eating and bulimia.

babybee6
on 10/14/08 5:43 pm - Cincinnati, OH
This is a very interesting topic. Before WLS  it was nothing for me to throw up and happened often for different reasons (nerves, etc). After WLS, it is HORRIBLE when I have to throw up. It is painful and traumatic and doesn't happen very often. I feel like I am going to die and I am very careful not to over eat because it is so unpleasant. Therefore, I can not imagine people doing it on purpose. I admit I would do it occasionally before surgery but not now even having gained about 40 lbs. I am not judging at all, I just can't imagine going through that pain on purpose.
Brenda
charleston-mom
on 10/15/08 12:17 am, edited 10/15/08 12:18 am
I would think it would actually be kind of hard. I don't seem to have the ability to throw up anymore, but then again I haven't eaten enough to try to test it because I'm afraid of stretching my pouch. I can understand how someone might become anorexic though. I still feel fat at 113 pounds.
Most Active