never felt restriction Lap RNY

Dee L.
on 10/10/08 10:43 pm - South Jersry, NJ
Hi i had LAP RNY just recently, 9/2/08. I have not felt the feeling of fullness that I heard so much about pre-op. I know WLS is a "tool" not a miracle, but i don't feel like I got the benefit of the "tool"...has anyone needed a revision early out because they felt no restriction? I'm posting this on the main message boards as well.  Before anyone gets their nerves in an uproar, I'm following all the rules, and not overeating, keeping to 400-500 calories a day per my nut. I do exercise A LOT and started a exercising a couple of years ago. In the past few years I lost 65 lbs. I still need to lose at least 130 lbs more. In the  5-6 weeks post op I've lost about 15 which i know is low, but my biggest concern is not feeling full. (not feeling starving either)  I hear every week at my support group about people not being able to get more than a couple of spoons of cottage cheese down, or a half an egg makes them feel like they're going to explode. Some people say they have a hard time even getting in the 60 grms of protein......how come I never had that feeling.....Does anyone feel the same way?
I'm interested to know Am I the only one?
Dee
Deanne K.
on 10/11/08 1:32 pm - Tucson, AZ
Dee,
You are not alone.  Just be careful that you do not overfill your new pouch.  I never had the full sensation either, like most people, everyone's pouch is a different size and they do stretch.  I really think you are in starvation mode and that you are not getting enough calories or protein for your body to lose the weight, concentrate on dense proteins at this point.  They may need to move you onto this next level before you feel the restriction, soft foods will not always give you the full feeling.  Call and talk with the Dr. if you can.  Ask them the questions. 
Dee L.
on 10/11/08 11:38 pm - South Jersry, NJ
I am going to get in touch with my surgeon this week. I think I'm going to try a few ounces of grilled chicken breast with grilled zuccini this afternoon. We're having extra gorgeous weather in NJ and it's a great day for cooking outdoors.
Thanks & take care
Dee
pokerchips
on 10/11/08 1:46 pm
Dee you are NOT alone!  I had RNY in December of 2001 and I never had that feeling of being full with 2 teaspoon or tablespoons of anything.  I purchased small 3 oz. containers to eat from after surgery, the baby spoon and all of the other tools to make sure I did not eat to much.  Well I never got full on the small amounts of food I heard everyone else said they ate or that I read about.  I was able to eat popcorn, bread, nuts meat anything with  no problem. 

Needless to say I only lost about 40-45 pounds.  I constantly tried to talk to my surgeon about it during follow up visits however he kept saying "it's a tool" and "just take your tool out of the shed" and so on.  The problem was I don't think my tool ever worked properly. 

I gained all weight losed back although it did stay off for about 5 years.  I have gone to a different doctor and am investigating a revision.  I had an endoscope and colonoscopy last week and am scheduled to visit surgeon next week.  I always suspected my stoma was too large and food could not stay in my stomach long.  I know when I had the upper GI the tech had a hard time taking pictures because the liquid went through me immediately.  I had to lay down and drink the luquid constantly for him to take pictures. 

I felt like a failure for a number of years but deep inside my heart I always felt my tool had failed me!   No you are not the only one I never had a hard time getting my protein and water in nor did I ever feel like I was going to explode eating an egg :)
Dee L.
on 10/11/08 11:30 pm - South Jersry, NJ
Thanks for your response. I intend to call my surgeon this week.
Take care,
Dee
Monkey
on 10/26/08 1:03 pm - los angeles, CA
 Hi Dee,

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I had surgery on april 2008 and I don't 
get that full feeling.. I have only lost 52 pounds and have not lost any weight in 2 months. I am very upset and I was wondering the same thing, I might bring this up to my surgeon, I see him tomorrow.

Please let me know what your surgeon tell you.

Good luck..

Veronica M.
pokerchips
on 12/10/08 8:36 am
How is your weightloss going now in October you lost a total of 52 lbs has your weightloss increased? 
comom2trips
on 10/20/08 5:11 pm
I've had the full feeling less than 10 times in the 22 months I've been post-op RNY and I really gorged to get it.  You're not the only one!!!
Holly
charleston-mom
on 10/26/08 11:41 pm
I don't ever feel full, so I measure everything. I've never pushed it though to see how much it takes.
Most Active