After 8 weeks of waiting, I got approved!band to sleeve!

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/08 3:04 pm
Hello All,
I got approval to go from band to sleeve. My date is scheduled for November 11th,2008. Thank God! I hadn't posted here a long time as I was getting really discouraged. For those who don't know my story here goes(I will try to make it short); I got banded in June 2007. The insurance approval and everything went well. The surgery wasn't that bad. I had never had any surgery done in my 37 years.  I lost about 35 pounds and maybe 5 sizes. I worked out like every day, so the inches did come off. I started having problems after my 3rd fill. I could not keep anything down. Voimiting and voimiting. "pooling" fluids. So they took out the saline. Over 2 weeks time, I felt "normal" again, in that things weren't getting stuck in my chest. I decided after much prayer and thought to get it removed. I knew I could not live like that. It was very hard and emotional. This August they started working on my paperwork. After 8 weeks(business days), I got the approval from bluecross. So it does pay to not give up. I will be joining my local support group. I have a sister getting banded and constantly tries to talk me into keeping it. She weighs around 400+pds and I am not sure if the band is for her. I hope it does work for her. I try to gently tell her that everything isn't for everybody. We are all different and I wish her the best.  And I will be there for her during her surgery. Anyway I know support will be crucial. And I cannot wait to get my sleeve and start my journey again! This time, it will work. I agree with other posters, the band can waste your time and money! I know it from experience!
Thanks for reading my story and your support!
shotgunchelle
MARCIAM
on 10/11/08 5:34 am - Sayville, NY
Good luck! I really hope that you will be happy with your revision... The lap band is great for some people but it just wasn't the right choice for you.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

lapoli7
on 10/11/08 1:53 pm - Rialto, CA
CONGRATS and Good Luck on your Band revision surgery!!

As for your sister....I was told at one of the orientations I went
to... that if you weigh over 300lbs that band wouldn't be performed.
Everyone has there own rules though. I weighed 405lbs when I
got my band (in mexico) it didn't work for me. I am scheduled for my
revision on 11/28/08 . I would keep encouraging your sister to
really look into how many 400lb success stories there are realted
to the LapBand.

Keep us posted on your progress, and best of luck to US! On our new journeys awaiting after our revision surgery!
Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Surgery- revision from LapBAND to RNY 11/28/08
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6
415 lbs  / 403 lbs / 316 lbs  /220 lbs
highest / surgery / current  /   goal

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/08 8:14 pm - TX
Does your sister know about the lapband stats?  For someone who weighs over 400 lbs the DS might be a better choice.

good luck to you with your revision. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 10:12 am
I am not sure she knows about the statistics. She is going to a clinic type place. Our relationship is such that she "knows" it all. We don't have that close of a relationship. It is something I got over last year. We live in the same town and she rarely wants to hangout. Just going to the movies or something. I know she is uncomfortable with her size. But she has a "know it all attitude". I am taking her tommorrow for her surgery. Some doctor in Decautar Texas. We live in the Ft Worth area. I have never heard of them. Said it was the only one her insurance would approve. She hates gastric RNY or the sleeve. She tried to talk me out of getting sleeved. Said "it's major surgery".  Hell anytime you get put under it is major surgery! Anyway, I hope and pray she does well with it. I will support her anyway I can.
Thanks for listening to my rant!
shotgunchelle
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 10:15 am - TX
I understand.  Dr. Denton is in the FT Worth area and he does the DS.  I hope she does well with whatever she undergoes but I'd strongly suggest to her that she does some research first.  Revisions are risky business. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 11:20 am
Hello Starry,
My sister had her surgery yesterday at Wise Co. hospital. Which is probaly the biggest business in Decatur! Very small town. Except for the Doctor running 2 hours behind, she did well. She is resting now. I do hope it helps her. And I am looking forward to my sleeve revision. I pray that it goes well also.

Thanks for the reply!
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 4:42 pm - AZ
OMG the sleeve is soooooooooo much easier than banding!  You live a normal life.  It is hard to make good food choices but if you do you get full verrrrrrrry fast.

Congrats to you!

Most Active