Revision and Hernia Surgery at the same time

n2livin
on 10/9/08 8:41 pm - Lees Summit, MO
I had lap RNY in 2002. I lost 160 lbs but never reached my goal which should have been an additional 60 lbs weightloss.  I December of 2007, I had a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and a few days later my bariatric surgeon did an endscopy because I was having severe abdominal pains prior to the tummy tuck.  He found that the pouch was entact but that the pouch outlet was stretched.  I was scheduled for the ReStore procedure before they were cancelled. 

Since the surgery I've gained 30 pounds and have developed a hernia about the size of a lemon that I can feel.  It is painful at times.  I'm seeing him next week about both the weight gain and the hernia.  Has anyone had a revision of the RNY and a hernia repair at the same time?

I'm a bit  frightened because the tummy tuck was not what I expected.  I did not get the results I wanted, I have a muffin top in the upper abdomen.  After the surgery I lost a lot of blood, was dropped in the hospital (yes DROPPED), got an infection and had to have a second surgery in the plastic surgeons office, had three open wounds for months that drained so baidly that I had to bandage them with sanitary napkins.  I was off work for four months.  The plastic surgeon wants to do the upper abdomen but I want to wait until I've lost more weight,

Now, I need to loose 90 pounds and have the hernia repaired.  I really want to stick with the RNY  which  my surgeon only does open. Is there anyone else who has been in my shoes and what did you do? 

I have great insurance that will pay for this if deemed medically necessary.

HELP!

Tjay
Madcow
on 10/10/08 2:12 am - MA
Hi - I  had a revision from lapband to RnY, port removal and had my hernia repaired at the same time a couple of weeks ago.  It was a lot of surgery but I made it through okay.

Once they open you up, they might as well get everything done at once.

Rose

240/140/138
ginau
on 10/10/08 7:22 am - mesa, AZ
Yes

I had an open  procedure that  took care of  Hernia's  ( multiple )  scar tissue ,  revision ( shortening of my common channel )   - It was the best way to go , I no longer live with stomach pain. Loosing weight and feel great !!!

As long as you trust your Dr - you will be fine , recovery is a little longer but worht it .  Let him clean up things inside now before it gets worse .

the tummy tuck and that can be taken care of later ....

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active