lapband to bypass

madsing
on 10/9/08 12:21 am
I had the lapband 2 years ago and I'm strongly considering having the bypass.

I never feel like I have any restriction no matter how many fills I have and I've only lost 40 lbs (and that was in the first 10 months).  I can't really eat healthier foods.. like chicken, turkey, pears, apples, grapes and it's frustrating b/c the junk food goes down great.

I'd appreciate feedback/adivse/whatever from anyone who has had this done and why they did it.. and if they are happy with their decision.

Thank you!

Madelin
vgrimli
on 10/9/08 2:12 am - Browns Valley, MN
I too had the lap band put in 3 years ago.  I have a date of 10-15-08 to do a revision.  I am not sure if the doctor will be doing the bypass or the sleeve.  He will determine once he gets in and sees what is workable. 
I had lost 70 pounds, but then was way over filled and had lots of problems, so started gaining back.  Yes, as you said I couldn't eat the healthier stuff and the junk food went too easy. 
Talk to your doctor about your options and he will help you make the right decision for you. Good luck!

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 10/9/08 5:29 am - Miami, FL

Hi Madsing,

Please do not feel like you are the only one. I, too, had the band nearly 2 years out, and have only lost a total of 35-40 lbs .  I'm in the process of getting approval for a revision to bypass.  I must admit I am a little apprehensive, but definitely need more restriction in order to achieve my goal.  This is definitely the place to gain knowledge on the topic.

Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

PekinSal
on 10/9/08 7:08 am - UK
Ditto. Had the band, wasn't right for me.

Had the band out, and DS done in April. Haven't looked back - have lost more weight than I've ever done, and weigh less now than I did at school (I'm 41 btw). Also had my diabetes cured, blood pressure reduced and cholesterol returned to normal so its all good.

Today I had chicken in satay sauce for lunch, cold ham for a snack, pate and toast for dinner, and grapes for after - all of these went down no problem (although in small quantities!) and the sleeve part of the DS is always like this.

I really love it, no bull, and its worth looking into if you arent getting along with your band

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

NeedhamGal
on 10/9/08 9:44 am - MA
I had the band and did well for about 18 mos...then the fill/unfills began due to the sudden tightness adn reflux. I too couldn't always eat the more protein filled foods..especially meat!

My band had a leak one year ago and in July 08 I had the band removed and a RNY.  It has been the best thing I did! Eating is sooooo much easier.   No 1st bite syndrome, eating turkey (coldcuts) no problem, chix--no problem.  

I typically work at home...but this week I was at a training. with the band..it could be dicey what I could eat or 1st bite syndrone so I would get a coffee coolata for lunch (great..huh).  this week I packed a little tupperware with turkey and cheese.  Toasted breads go down fine...so I could have had a sandwich also.   One day I had chicken breast on salad.    I didn't need to worry at all this time about the food choices.

the actual surgery was painfree.   Not having the friggin port in my stomach allowed me immediately to twist and turn in bed, and bend down to tie my shoes...unlike with the band.
Feel free to email me if I can help you at all.
Joan
tnwalkersu
on 10/9/08 12:15 pm - Somerville, TN
I too got my band two yrs ago and now need to have it repaired due to a leak that I have.  Also lost only 40 lbs.  Instead of having it repaired and having to go through the fill/unfill maybe another leak, I'm having DS with Dr. Husted in insurance goes ok.  I wish I had known about the DS before because I would have done it instead of the band.  But with all of the commercials on the band I thought that it was the best new thing.  Bot, was I wrong.  It may work for some but not for me.  I want to be able to eat something instead of worrying if it will go down and stay down.  Like everyone else, eating meat was impossible and the easiest thing to eat was the bad stuff.  Good luck with your decision.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

jinks
on 10/9/08 4:02 pm
I've had the band since 2002 and lost 35 pounds in 6 weeks. After that the port failed and I opted to not have it replaced. I will be having the RNY October 17.
It is the duty of the Patriot to protect his country from his government.~ThomasPaine~

cuppyb
on 10/9/08 9:11 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
In the same boat.  Was banded 2 yrs ago and will be having the band removed and RNY on 10/28.  

Did great for the first 18 months and then problems started.  Now I bring up for about 12 times a week and I've been unfilled.  Looking forward to not having to race across work because my lunch got stuck.  

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

charleston-mom
on 10/10/08 2:21 am
I had a revision from lapband to RNY one year ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I have lost down to 114 pounds (lost 135 pounds total) and am in a size 2 now. I hated the lapband (two slips, erosion, lack of total weight loss). The RNY is light years better surgery - totally different. If you can have a revision - go for it! I thank God every day for my revision. I have my life back.
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/08 5:54 am - AZ
I had a band and got to goal with it but then it started working too well.  After I hit goal I ended up on liquids for 4 months due to an inability to eat solids with an unfilled band.  Revised to a sleeve and it's great!  I love being sleeved.

Most Active