Revision question

vgrimli
on 10/8/08 5:17 am - Browns Valley, MN
I am having revision surgery on the 15th.  They will be removing my lap band and then, I am not sure.  My doctor wanted to do the sleeve, but BCBS of MN said that was experimental and said no so he said he would do RNY.  I received my preapproval letter the other day and it says Bariatric Revision.  So, does that mean the doctor can do whichever he feels best?  Also  I read about a stomach tube and I seen in my papers that I would have to come back in two weeks to have that removed.  What is this and the purpose?

mew6495
on 10/8/08 6:26 am - MI
 Congratulations on your revision!  Most insurance companies are pretty clear on what types they will and will not cover.  It may depend on how your surgeon codes it as well.  I would suggest calling his office and getting the details.

As far as the stomach tube, this is put in at the time of surgery and it gives an avenue for pressure and fluids to drain while healing during the early phase.  It also helps to avoid infections.  Some patients get it and some don't.  This can be decided on many factors, type of surgery, your weight, your doctor etc.  Again, probably another question to ask your doctor.

Good luck to you.
vgrimli
on 10/8/08 6:35 am - Browns Valley, MN
Thank you.  I am very nervous but sure everything will be fine. I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday morning.  Then my husband and I have to go through a 3 hour session that afternoon with a pharmacist, nutritionist, and psychologist to make sure WE are ready for the surgery.  I say we, because Dr. O'Brien says in order for it to work, you both have to work together.  I like his approach.

Hazeleyes922
on 10/8/08 12:03 pm
Good for you Vicky,
I think is normal to be nervous but just think!!!! the freedom you'll have from the present weight.
I was denied today....My insurance does not find the band is causing any complications to the point of having to be removed.  i want to have the gastric bypass and was very excited (and nervous of course) about my already scheduled surgery day (11/4/08).  I also have BCBS and don't understand what could have happened in my case that resulted in a negative outcome.
Trust your doctor will choose the right surgical procedure for you.  After that, enjoy every minute of your new life.

Good luck and just think in your new life!
PekinSal
on 10/9/08 7:02 am - UK
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

This is your body, your choice. Don't rely blindly on doctors, they aren't going to have to live with their surgeries, you are.

Can you appeal? Can you get the DS (or the first half of it, which is the sleeve...), are you sure you want an RNY?

You got this wrong once, think very hard before you let anyone open you up

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

vgrimli
on 10/9/08 7:09 am - Browns Valley, MN
Thank you for your comments.  We went through the appeals.  I have talked to three people who live near me with the RNY and they are very happy with it.  I have asked a lot of questions and feel comfortable about doing this.  I am ready to take the next step!

PekinSal
on 10/9/08 7:13 am - UK
On October 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, Vicki G. wrote:
Thank you for your comments.  We went through the appeals.  I have talked to three people who live near me with the RNY and they are very happy with it.  I have asked a lot of questions and feel comfortable about doing this.  I am ready to take the next step!
Thats ok then! I just have an innate distrust of doctors and didnt like to think of you trusting them to make decisions for you.

I hope it goes well for you, and all your pre-op stuff goes smoothly

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

vgrimli
on 10/9/08 7:22 am - Browns Valley, MN
This is my second doctor and believe me I trust him totally.  He is so understanding, patient, and encouraging that I can't help but trust him.

Most Active