Do you have a question?

taff
on 7/24/09 3:00 pm - cincinnati, OH
I have a question. I had the BPD done in 2007 after 2 years of being very sick and life threating disorders I had to have my BPD revised in Jan of this year. I have gained 50 lbs since then. Before I had my surgery revised I asked since I had lost so much weight was I a canidate for the lap band. I was told because it was the BPD that I was not a canidated for any other by pass surgery. Is this true. I am now having problems with my back and can not have it fixed till I have lost another 80 lbs. I know I can have my skin removed and that will help with some of the weight but it will not fix the I am always hungry feeling I have. If some one has experance with this and tell me what I should do it would be great. Taffany
 Taffy
mrdoores
on 9/7/09 3:43 am - Waldorf, MD
 I will be having distal from proximal soon I hope.  Now going through the evaluations for BCBS.  I still have some restriction and can't eat a lot of beef or pork or dry chickenand yet I still managed to regain 70 of the 137 lbs. lost . Also, I never made it to goal, my or the drs.  At this time, I don't do any exercise or walking as my knees and feet swell and hurt.  I stand and walk at work for 8 hours a day. 

My question is where can I find the foods to avoid and the proper foods to eat after my revision surgery???  What can I really expect after surgery as far as pain, gas, drain tubes, etc.

Marianna
mrdoores
on 12/6/09 6:31 am, edited 12/14/09 11:41 pm - Waldorf, MD
Well, here it is December as I'm still wait for the insurance co. to approve my appeal for revision surgery to my RNY.  My original surgery was done Nov. 29, 2000.   Weight loose was a wonderful ride, 22lbs in 9 days.  Now after the regain, it is much harder to get an approval.  The drs office insurance person dropped the ball and no longer works there, so now someone else has taken over and he has at least sent in the appeal letter to the ins.co (BCBS) and the wait begins again.  I will update soon I hope wtih a big I HAVE BEEN APROVED ( I pray).
Marianna
rendan904
on 12/17/09 9:49 am - Vineland, NJ
Marianna I too am playing the waiting game.
been calling Dr.'s office 2 -3 times a week since 10/29/09 to see if they submitted ny request for Revision to ERNY to ins. Called Wed. and yes, it has been submitted. I try to stay positive but I think I'll be denied, and have to appeal. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Best of luck! Renee

HW252/SW198/CW160/GW135/HT 5'4

mrdoores
on 12/18/09 8:28 am - Waldorf, MD
Hi Renee, I'm still waiting except last week I got a call and they want me to write an appeal letter to the insurance co.  They said for me to explalin that I need the surgery, and how I will comply with the rules this time and to set up support group time and meeting and an exercise program, which I haven't done yet.  So now the ball is in my court and I haven't done anything yet.  I have a book with a sample letter in it so I need to get off my big butt and start writing.  When I get off work all I want to do is sit dow and take it easy and before you know it, its bedtime.  My middle name is ReNai also.  Good luck with your revision, think positive, you won't be denied, it will be approved.  Marianna

FernTate
on 9/24/09 2:07 am
Are there any new solutions on the horizon for the common problem of stretched stoma after RNY?  (not including the thermaplasty or rose procedures that do not work)
Ara Keshishian
on 11/7/09 3:14 pm - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
The pouch over time will stretch so will the anastomosis. The solution for this has been proposed and tested. Dr. Fobi, proposed the Fobi pouch with is a narrow long gastric pouch with a ring at the end to prevent the stretching of the stoma.

The reason why RNY patients gain weight is not dependent of the pouch or the stoma size. There are studies out there that have shown no correlation between the pouch size and the stoma size and the weight loss. This is why  most Duodenal switch surgeons believe that obesity is not the disease of over eating and lack of exercise. In fact if over eating was the reason for obesity the best weight loss surgery will be the one with the smallest stomach pouch- the RNY, and yet the best weight loss with the most sustained weight loss is after the duodenal switch operation and not the RNY.

Because of (C) issues I am not sure if I can post the publications that I am referring to above on this web site. They are available on on our web site and my blog.

Hope this helps

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/09 9:08 am, edited 10/6/09 11:03 pm - Menomonee Falls, WI
I know people that have 1/2 oz to 3 oz pouches made, 40 cm to 250 cm bypassed and different types and sizes of stomas.  Rarely do doctors tell their patients the specifics of the surgery.  I thought I was getting a 1 oz pouch and a 150 cm bypass and I knew nothing about the stoma until afterwords.  I was given a 2 oz pouch, a 100 cm bypass and a large stoma hole punch.  I lost from 276 lbs to 167 lbs before surgery to make the surgery safer.  It was very difficult to lose weight.  I had to gain back 30 lbs. to have the surgery.  I am a type 1 and 2 diabetic with PCOS and a strong family history of morbid obesity.  I am 5' 3" tall.  How do doctors decide what surgery to do on a patient and don't we have a right to know what and why they are doing before surgery as part of the informed consent?   I am a WLS failure I feel because I was given a surgery inappropriate for me and not enough follow up care.  Sincerely, Daisy
Karen R.
on 10/8/09 5:10 am - Gering, NE
Are there any doctors in the Nebraska/Wyoming/Colorado area that will do some other type of surgery at the same time a band is being removed due to an erosion?

On the road again....so glad to be on the road again.... 

brendastar11
on 10/21/09 12:48 pm - PITTSGROVE, NJ
I HAD A RNY DONE IN 2002,I ALWAYS SEEMED TO HAVE NO RESTRICTION.ONLY LOST 50LBS,GAINED ALMOST ALL OF IT BACK.HAD AN UGI DONE RECENTLY.IT SAID,THE BLIND LIMB IS 10CM.IN LENGTH AND THE POUCH IS 9CMS IN LENGTH.WHAT IS THE BLIND LIMB?I F IT IS MY UNUSED PART OF MY STOMACH,CAN THEY MEASURE THAT,OR HAS IT.MAYBE       CAME UNSTAPLED.CONFUSED.I HOPE YOU CAN EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.THANK YOU.
Most Active