Please write me about ur experience with a RNY revision

cayita63
on 10/7/08 12:43 am - Ft Lauderdale, FL
I have all the conditions to have a revision... but i want to know ur path...insurance, feelings, pain, please ...
thanks
claudia
mew6495
on 10/7/08 1:37 am - MI
 What type of revision are you looking for?
redprincess1973
on 10/7/08 6:02 am - Orange Park, FL
Claudia,

Every case is different and requires a different path, so to speak.  I am getting ready to have my 2nd revision.  My first surgery was in June, 2002.  2 years later and 211lbs lighter - I would not stop loosing weight.  I was even eating the wrong stuff to try to gain weight.  Then in February of 2004, I started throwing up everything - to include liquid.  I had an upper GI performed along with an endoscopy and that showed a gastro gastric fistula and a blockage of the pouch.  Revisional surgery was scheduled and I had it in August of that year (it was a while before surgery because I had Tricare insurance and after 2 months of getting approvals to go to my original surgery, they decided to cancel that surgery and send me all the way to VA to have it done by one of their surgeons). 

Now - 4 years later, I have gained almost 70lbs back and have severe gastric reflux along with dry heaving almost every other night.  When I eat anything - I get a horrible feeling in my lower abdomen like I have swallowed a brick.  So - when this stuff started happening a few months ago - I contacted my surgeon (I am back in the same town as my original surgeon) and saw him.  He ordered an upper GI the next day.  After he was able to read the films - he determined that I needed to have a revision and wrote a letter to BC/BS.  I received the approval less than a week later and it is scheduled for two weeks from today.

You just have to talk to your surgeon and let him/her know what is going on - what symptoms you are having and how you are feeling.  Are you eating the right foods and exercising - because the insurance company is going to want to know that this is a mechanical problem, not a user problem (meaning you are eating the wrong things and botching the surgery).

Hope this all helps.  Good luck!

Heather
Most Active