BC/BS OF IL- DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIFIC PLAN??

CHUNKYMUNKY_08
on 10/6/08 11:33 pm
GOOD MORNING!!

I have spoken to my pcp and he is ordering me to go to the University of Iowa for testing of my lap band to make sure everything is okay because of the complications I am having.

However, I am in the process of looking into BC/BS of Illinois for insurance.  I currently have United Healthcare but our plan does not cover WLS so when I had the band I did self-pay. Now as I am contemplating moving to a different insurance I am hoping that I may have some options here!

Does anybody know if when you have BC/BS of Illinois what specific plan does cover for WLS???!!!

I really am curious and wondering if anybody on this forum would know or be able to help me out on this.  I would greatly appreciate it!!

PLEASE HELP!!  I'm at my wit's end and between fighting the band, doctors and insurance....I just want to get back to the road of weight loss for my health!!

thanks for the help and for listening!!

*~Da Chunkster~*
"Sarcasm is just another free service I offer"~ Brian the Dog
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!"
"I'm a cute & TAN all year round...SO don't hate & be jealous."

mew6495
on 10/7/08 2:50 am - MI
 I have BCBS of MI.  My plan covers wls and revisions.  I think it is specific to the plan you opt for.  I get my coverage through my employer so I am limited to what they choose as the provider.  You can go to their web site and find out what plans they offer and they should also give a detailed list of what is and is not covered.

Good Luck to you.
margiev
on 10/8/08 1:23 pm - Richton Park, IL
Hi, I currently have BCBS and they are really fair.  I am trying to get a revision and if you have no prior problems (hi blood pressure, diabetics, etc) they will require you to have 6 months of diet, physic evaluations, nutrition classes and then they MAY decide that the revision can be done.  

To the best of my knowledge they cover the Lap Band and RNY. They generally consider any other surgeries as experimental and won't cover then.
Margiev
CHUNKYMUNKY_08
on 10/8/08 9:34 pm
is your plan through your employer or did you purchase this insurance plan yourself through an independent agent?

*~Da Chunkster~*
"Sarcasm is just another free service I offer"~ Brian the Dog
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!"
"I'm a cute & TAN all year round...SO don't hate & be jealous."

ms princz
on 10/10/08 10:47 am - Chicago, IL
It depends upon the type of policy and your group plan coverage. I have bcbs of il hmo and it covers any wls type as long as it is pcp recommended to the managed health care group. i was self pay for lapband and relocated to chicago area to accept a new job. this new job insurance covered my fills--1097 charged. no problem in getting referral from pcp for coverage at all.  i am hopeful that it may be this easy with approval for revision. best regards
Princz SG  230/208/165
June 11, 2009/July 10/Goal
sunshine13
on 11/7/08 8:27 am - Kennedy, NY
Hello I have BC/BS PPO ( I believe it is of Indiana) it is through my husbands work ( CUmmins Engine) and I am thinking of looking into having a revision done, Any clue of what I am looking to deal with?

Thanks
Most Active